SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsw65

Rewiring Craftsman GT5000 from Kohler to Briggs

jsw65
13 years ago

Craftsman GT500 Rewiring from 25HP Kohler Engine (917.276020) to 27 Briggs ELS 44Q777

I have a 2004 GT500 with Kohler engine, and the right cylinder went bad (stuck valve + broken connecting rod + needed resize the bore) so I decided to go with Briggs 27HP ELS (44Q777) because of price and I was disappointed with Kohler. Kohler engine comes with the solenoid where as Briggs engine doesn't so I went and installed a solenoid. I am not an electrician, but rather a weekend handyman. I can jump the solenoid and get the engine to crank, but I don't know which wire is the terminal from the ignition switch which should be connected to the solenoid (please let me know the color and how to rewire if necessary). The "female adapter" from my Kohler is wired (Left to Right/Top to Bottom)

Red Black Blue&Red(2 wires)

Orange None White

On the Briggs Engine, the "male adapter" on the engine is below where [] denotes color difference.

Red Black [Grey]

Orange None [None]

So what do I need to do here? Where is the terminal from the ignition switch which needs to be connected to the solenoid. I also noticed that there are 5 lines from the "female adapter", but the "male adapter" has only 4. The white color from the female adapter is not connected to any of the wire in the male adapter. If one to look at the ignition switch for both Kohler and Briggs, to start the engine requires B + S + A1 and I believe A1 = white wire which is not connected to any wire in the male adapter. I am not sure whether they [Grey] wire should be connected to Blue&Red(2 wires) on the "female adapter". I've looked at the schema, for the Briggs version (24HP) of GT5000 and the model number is 917.276310. I admit that it's over my head

I know that the muffler fits and looks like I can use the same belts. I would greatly appreciate your assistance... I haven't mowed my lawn for nearly 2 weeks and there is no Briggs tech support.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions