SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dodong_gw

Kohler CV15S problem

dodong
14 years ago

Hi everybody....newbie here with a question(s) concerning the Kohler CV15S engineon my John Deere riding lawnmower. Had it 11 years now with no problems, but have had a problem now after this winter here in upstate NY. I keep it stored in my clean & dry attached garage, and the first time I started it this spring, I was letting it warm up to do my annual tune-up of oil, oil filter, spark plug, air cleaner, and fuel filter. After about 10 minutes of medium idle, it stalled out. I tied to re-start it, but it just wouldn't go. Since the oil was warm anyways, i changed the oil, and all the other things I mentioned. So after about an hour, it started up again no problem and I mowed my 1 acre lawn.

But every week when I go out and cut grass, it has been stalling oout after about 5-10 minutes. I have to let it cool down for 5-10 minutes before I can continue cutting grass. Most times I can get through with 2 hrs.of running with it only stalling out after the first 5-10 minutes,but a few times,it will stall out 2-3 times before I can finish cutting grass. It has been progressively getting more frequent. So I explained this to the semi-retired old-timer maintenance mechanic at work who also has his own landscaping business on the side, and he says it sounds like the ignition module is getting tired and when it gets hot, cannot produce enough spark. So he told me remove the flywheel cover to check it out. I did, and removed the ignition module,used some emory to clean the light rust on the magnets, and re-installed to spec(.008 -.010 clearance) with feeler guages (I'm a CNC machinist by trade, so I am nowheres near a hack, I know I put it backright.) Anyways,the problem still persists. So what's everybody's take on this? Cough up the $40 bucks for a new ignition module? Or maybe it may be something else like a condensor or something? I'd hate to start buying $40 parts without it being the correct solution. Any advice? Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions