SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Can I cut back hardy shrub roses now?

julieste
10 years ago

Hi--

A pretty uninformed, casual gardener would like a bit of help.

I have a lot of shrub roses that are now about four years old. Many of these have grown quite a bit larger than I anticipated (and than the labels indicated they'd get), so I'd like to trim them back a ways. I think maybe I read that this should be done more in the early spring, and it is now early summer (finally) here in Minnesota. We were out of town for three weeks in the end of May. When we left things were just barely beginning to leaf out after an unbearably long winter, and when we got home everything was fully leafed out, so I missed any pruning opportunities earlier. Or, maybe I should have pruned even before there were any signs of leafing our. That is something else I don't know.

These are continuous bloomers, and they are just now in stages starting to finish blooming. Normally I'd start deadheading now, but I am wondering if instead of just deadheading I can accomplish two goals in one and instead cut them back. But, I'd like them to continue to bloom over the summer. If I cut them back, will I then lose all possibilities of further blooms this season?

What is your advice? Thanks so much.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus