SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

leave weeds in garden or compost them, and lasagna question.

tetrazzini
16 years ago

hi,

my vegetable garden is pretty big (45 x 45') and it's always a challenge to get my compost to cover all the beds.

while pulling up large volumes of weeds today (i haven't mulched yet) i was wondering if it's better to compost them or just layer them on top of the beds as mulch, or leave them in the paths to improve the soil there. (sometimes the current year's beds overlap the previous year's paths a little, since the beds aren't physically sectioned off, and are laid out anew each spring.) composting isn't that much work, but is it really worth it to haul everything to the piles, then haul the compost back to the beds each year? is there a benefit over just leaving the weeds on the ground in the garden? or is the effect the same, especially if i cover the weeds with straw or leaves?

also wondering, is lasagna gardening in a plot this size practical? there are 26 beds separated by 1' paths. i don't intend to use newspaper or cardboard except around the periphery. are they a necessary part of lasagna gardening? i'd rather stick to unprocessed materials, and those i have in abundance are leaves, weeds, straw and wood shavings. still, i don't have so much that i could make the layers very high, especially the green materials.

basically i'm wondering what the best and easiest way is to keep up soil quality, given my garden's size.

thank you!

Comments (5)