SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb1963_gw

Serviceberry Autumn Brilliance help?

Barb1963
14 years ago

Last year early spring I planted two Serviceberries Autumn Brilliance, they where balled and burlapped and perhaps 7 ft. They are tree form. They seemed to do fine as the leafed out although the leaves remained quite small but berries formed and all seemed well. Sadly this spring they have shown no signs of life as of yet other than what appears to be some tiny red sprouts coming from the base of the trunk above the graft. We have had a very chilly spring with many late frosts. I see no sign of flowers nor buds swelling to form leaves. The buds are there just not doing a thing. Most trees here are leafing out already with my Black ash being the last and latest.

Should I wait much longer? If there is signs of life at the base above the graft will the top eventually break dormancy aswell. If it doesn't what are my prospects in regards to cutting back the tree form trunk and letting the the sprouts from the base take over? Will these sprouts at the base slow the main trunk from breaking dormancy or suck the life out of it?

Sorry for the many questions, I just really wanted these trees to thrive, I am willing to remove the main trunk, but only if totally neccesary, I can live with a multistemmed smaller tree if that's the only way.

They are planted in clay loam with moderate to good drainage(water appears to drain quite quickly as I tested before planting), with about 7 hours of full sunshine, the fence shading the base for the remainder of the day with the tops in late day sun. I planted with a couple handfuls of bonemeal and they are both in cultivated beds with plenty of room to spread there roots. No weed competition. They where watered deeply every two weeks last year, once a week when the temps where hot. They are sheltered from strong winds and are not staked as they seem to be standing well on there own.

Any kind of help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barb

Comments (8)