SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

oak leaves in iris bed

organic_kitten
15 years ago

I am preparing a new bed for some iris I have ordered. The site I am planning to use was once the location for some potato growing raised beds of a sort. a material that an on-line retailer sold for that purpose (think cylinder) and filled with compost, manure that had been composted, top soil, etc...but we decided after a few years that this was not a worthwhile use of the area.

Back to the present. I have three 3 to 3.5 ft in diameter "raised beds" with a two foot flat unimproved other than killing off the grass and weeds on the flat surfaces(a continuing battle I might add) between the center mound and the outside two mounds.

I also have an enormous pile of partially composted oak leaves. The leaves are where they lay when we used a blower to corral them a bit. I have a leaf shredder that I can use to shred any larger leaf material into for fine shreds.

It seems to me that even though the leaves are not fully composted, maybe I could dig them into this area that I plan to use and they should help me obtain a looser and better texture, and improve my chances with the iris.

I am unsure if this is the best thing to do. I do have compost cooking in a different area that I will also use, but there will not be nearly the quantity I should need.

I have read that I should till the proposed iris bed area to a depth of 12 inches (you know I would be planting or exposing all sorts of weed seeds), but I would still have time to put down the wet newspapers again to kill them.

What should I do? Dig in the leaf substance? Till it up or no. Put down paper again to kill or prevent the newly unearthed weed seeds? Or would corn gluten be better than wet newspaper? Would corn gluten affect the iris 4 months later?

Since I live in central AL Zone 7, I know some (maybe even most) of the iris won't thrive here. The ones I had this year were gorgeous, and I want more so I'm willing to risk this.

Come on please, give me your expert advice. I would greatly appreciate it.

Kay

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012