SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlie2_gw

Husqvarna Story

charlie2
16 years ago

I have an old murray with a 42 in deck. It was a walmart special. Last month a "pin" broke and a wheel fell off. Later that week a different retaining "pin" broke and the deck fell off on one side breaking a mandrell. I repaired it but used the situation to convince the wife "its time for a new mower." I was eloquent. "Once little things like this happen, heed the message," I said. I read the forum, researched the net, and with my limited funds I went for a 42" 20 HP B/S Husqvarna (yth20B42). It dosn't compete with the big boys but its a step up for me. They deliver the mower, shake my hand and ride off. I purchased it through a locally owned power equipment bussiness. I can't wait for the weekend to try it out. On Saturday I fired it up, rode 2 laps around my house and the steering wheel disconnected. The dealer repaired it. It appears a "pin" in the steering column broke off. How ironic. The wife smirks at me with that "knowing" expression. They drop it off, I shake a hand and they drive off again. On the weekend I fire it up and start cutting. After 20 minutes the steering column disconnects, same issue. The wife is now openly laughing at me. She has the audacity to start quoting me. "Heed the message," ha ha ha. Another week passes. My big orange mower gets dropped off, I shake a hand, and we all agree things like this happen. I fire it up and cut my lawn. The cut is horrid. Gouges all over the place. I get under the mower and find a bent blade. It must have come like this. I didn't hit anything. Yeah, I ran over a few ant hills but my Walmart bought Murray (7 years old), which incidentally is starting to look better and better to me each day, ran over tons of ant hills, Nah, that can't be it. My wife says I may as well just go buy a new blade. No says I, its a brand new machine. The blade shouldn't be bent this fast. I make my way to the dealer with bent blade in hand. They were insistent, it was an anthill or something else. I discounted the anthill but I believe the "unknown something else" is what did me in. It was obvious. Blades don't just bend by themselves, and no, blades are not covered under the warranty. Never mind that I was on my maiden lawn cutting voyage. I opted for the "heavier blades," 50 cents more apiece, and purchased 2. I arrived home with blades and receipt in hand. The wife never said a word. Perhaps she is learning. I'm sure there is a lesson in here somewhere. I have no doubt Murphy's law was also involved. This experience does not mean Husqvarna's are poor. They are, after all, locally assembled. It has more horsepower than my Murray so it goes through deep grass easier. Its bigger than my Murray so I can sit better. The seat is more comfortable. I love the gas pedal. It steers easier than my Murray and has a better turning radius. The bottom line, change your oil routinely, clean your equipment, learn how to grease and do minor maintenance, and your equipment will last. Is the Hurqvarna tons better than my Murray? No. Did the Murray get the job done? Yes. Why did I buy the Husky? ... I liked it. I will however, keep my Murray as a back up. Its a good machine too.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions