SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Mystery rose identified/NOT Baron von Bonstatten as we thought

fogrose
10 years ago

I recently started a thread about a mystery rose that was sold to me as Rose de Rescht but when it bloomed, it wasn't that rose. A number of you offered suggestions.

PortlandMysteryRose suggested Pickering's Four Seasons and catspa thought it was Baron von Bonstatten because that rose is also grown by Russian River Roses where I purchased it.

I visited Russian River Roses today and Jan looked at my photos that I emailed her. She discussed it with one of her garden workers who collects cuttings and suckers for propagation. Turns out that at the end of the row of Rose de Rescht roses is a clump of Rosa damascena semperflorens that Jan had obtained from Heirloom. The worker must have gotten a sucker from this rose instead.

Now this was confusing to me as my recollection of the Autumn Damask was a more "untidy" pinker flower which didn't steal my heart as this rose has. Upon more investigation I found that Paul Barden had written about this very rose and helped clear up the mystery. I'm delighted to have it especially as it appears to be disease free in my garden which is saying a lot.

Here's the link to Paul's article
http://paulbardenroses.com/damasks/semperflorens.html

and below are photos of my rose which I'm reposting.

{{gwi:274234}}

{{gwi:274237}}

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa damascena semperflorens at Heirloom

Comments (6)