SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Ash Flower Gall on Leprechaun Ash & Salix Hakuro Nishiki questi

kimcoco
14 years ago

We have a leprechaun ash. I recently discovered Crown Gall on my Euonymous shrubs, which made me think about these funny looking things that have grown on my ash tree since I can remember, and today I learned it's ash flower gall (not the same as crown gall, of course). I've read it can be treated with Sevin????

Can I just cut these off the tree? Will it harm it in any way? I didn't realize they're from microscopic mites (ewww), I was picking pieces off earlier. Must wash hands.

LOL.

What are my options?

And, what does everyone think of a Salix Hakuro Nishiki (on a standard) in its place? The area is a southeast corner, late afternoon shade

Comments (3)

• victor5
    14 years ago

Nishiki Willows are a fantastic plant. They are much more appealing in the tree form than a ground variety. I have several of these and they do well in my zone 5 climate. They should be sheared severely every season to keep their growth curtailed and to provide the snow white growth that you may enjoy over the summer.
    On shearing these trees, they may be cut back to the large woody branches where after about 3 weeks to a month, many new growth tips appear on these woody ends and the tree actually thickens significantly.
    These plants thrive on lots of water and I mean water and not just dampness. They will grow 4-6 ft per year with ample water hence the shearing mentioned above.
    There is nothing like them for their white growth for most of the season. I tend to keep them in the 8-10ft range in height.

Good Luck

• hortster
    14 years ago

I have had this problem on my white ash for three years running. Here is what the Kansas State University extension service says about it:
    Recommendations: As with most galls, the Ash Flower Gall is unsightly but does not harm the
    health of the tree. The mites are also difficult to control because they are able enter the flower bud
    before it is visibly open. Therefore, control measures are not recommended.
    hortster

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was hoping everyone was going to tell me the Gall would be detrimental to my tree....so I can replace it with a Salix. LOL. Not that I don't like the Ash, but Salix has so much more to offer.

My Ash tree, because of it's positioning, has more growth on one side than the other, so from the street it looks completely lopsided. Add to that those unsightly galls on it. Ugh.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living