SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chfiii

Good compost chipper/shredders?

CHFIII
9 years ago

So with this old age thing i don't have the time, back or arthritis free hands I used to when creating compost. I am looking at some of the electric chipper/shredders and wanted to see if anyone can comment on them. Most say they handle branches up to 1-1.5" which is more than I need, i doubt I would go over .5" on tree and hedge clippings.

What I would like most is something that would handle shredding cardboard for my worm bins since that is a lot of work and leaves my hands sore.

Also, I'd like something that would handle partially done compost that is moist but not sloppy wet - I have more than one bin going and running compost through a shredder to tear up clumps and remix the compost a bit finer would be terrific but I'm afraid it would clog.

Anyone have first hand experience with the electric chipper shredders? I'm talking about machines like the 2.5hp eco-shredder that sells for around $300. That would be a worthwhile investment for me if it tore up cardboard and small branches easily and could 'remix' partially done compost without getting gummed up. I hot compost and vermicompost and like to get a fine grade and fast decomposition so the better it is ground up to start with the faster it breaks down.

On cardboard, if it didn't exactly make confetti out of it but mangled it up pretty good that would be okay - would make more surface area for microbes to attack it initially and once partially composted should crumble the second time through a few weeks later.

If you have one, please share the good and bad. i'd rather stick to the electrics for up to $300 or so, I know the $2K gas ones will chop anything and laugh at cardboard or wet stuff but i want something easy and not too loud, heavy or likely to need engine work.

Comments (4)