SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

to wot or not to wot ? ( that is the question )

njdpo
14 years ago

Hi all,

Ive seen several postings over the year + that Ive been reading through this forum about some people running their equipment at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

My position on this has been - that even though a cars RPM red-line might be 6000 RPM - that does NOT mean I should operate it at 6000 rpm constantly...

I apply that same logic to my lawn equipment as well.

With that being said - if the lawn were to be mowed nicely at 2200 RPM (and I would not see an improvement at WOT) - for what reason would I want to run my engine at 3600 rpm?

Some would argue that increased cooling is had with higher RPM. While others might argue the increased RPM brings with it more heat - canceling out any benefits from the increased air-flow. Not to mention accelerated wear that comes along with WOT operation. As a reminder - Most fan speeds are a 1:1 relationship to the crank speed.

Years ago I read a journal which spoke of computer CPU cooling where increased wind speeds over cooling components (cooling fins) did not "necessarily" equate to increased cooling. And how other factors such as humidity and such play a large role in cooling as well. Therefor it served them well to increase cooling surfaces and slow down the airflow.

I will not even try to speak to the subject of water cooling - but would ask those that max out their air cooled engines... Would you also run your water cooled engines at WOT because of increased cooling through the radiator system ?

Unless your working with a huge property with no obstacles in your way - where near WOT is the only way to get a huge property done in a timely manner.

Thanks - Dave

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions