SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Found near my house, old, deep pink, 8 pix

aliska12000
16 years ago

I knew they were there but never caught them in bloom. An old school friend's music teacher lived there back in the 50's. They are a block and a half from my house.

Anyway, except for the white one, I can't tell if they are all the same or what, the colors match, but the blooms are different, maybe some roses do that according to how spent the bloom is. I ran home to get my camera so took these hurriedly.

What do you think they might be? Are they worth asking the owners for cuttings later? Some of the bushes look kind of ratty with a lot of dead cane, but they must be fairly old, how old I have no clue.

{{gwi:271667}}

{{gwi:271668}}

{{gwi:271669}}

{{gwi:271670}}

{{gwi:271671}}

{{gwi:271672}}

{{gwi:271674}}

{{gwi:271676}}

Comments (32)

• buford
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That foliage is very interesting. I've never seen foliage like that before on a rose. It looks like viburnum foliage.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm intrigued by it, too. Look at all the leaf sets. The rose doesn't amount to much of anything, but I love that foliage. I don't see any thorns. I'm going to have to walk down there and take another look. It is a rose, or isn't it?

Pink ones are probably once bloomers :-(.

• Related Discussions

Plugging up 'old' chipmunk holes near foundation?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't think you can plug up more than the entrance portion of the hole. Not only do the burrows go fairly deep, but they twist and wind around, and are made with ups and downs so that rain, snow-melt, etc won't wet the living areas. Nature will gradually fill in unused burrows. I have a family of chippies living in the azaleas, and although I once found a tunnel opening near the house, that's been years ago. You can try using Pine-sol, diluted 1 part to 5 of water, poured in a line around the perimeter of the house. I've long used Pine-sol [in a bowl in a locked cupboard] to keep mice and squirrels out of the attic, and it seems to be a long-term deterrent for rodents when poured on the ground around the house. My house has a crawl-space and we live near fields, and I used to think the field mice owned the house until I tried the pine-sol as a barrier. Humans can't seem to smell it after an hour or so, but apparently it's awful to the rodent-nose.
    ...See More

Do you live in an old house? What have you found?

Q

Comments (22)
    My house was built in 1916 as a parsonage for the United Methodist-Episcopal South Church. No real owners - just transient ministers, so nothing interesting garden-wise. The most interesting features are an intricately-designed 15-ft.-deep cistern, and the brickwork of 3 chimneys that serve 6 fireplaces. I tilled most of the flower beds and ran across enough broken dishes and silverware to conclude that many a bad meal was served here over the decades! Also beds of used coal, garbage and antique bottles, even a piece of petrified wood. For reasons unknown to me, I found many old and very small horseshoes. Also found a silver Deutsche Mark minted in nazi Germany (complete with nazi symbol imprinted on front). But my very best find was while tilling up the front yard for sodding. Underneath several inches of soil I discovered a ruby Mason's ring. Many months later I found the owner. He was in his late 70's and had lost it while roofing the house several decades ago. He replaced the ring some time after losing it, but "retired" the replacement after getting the original ring back. He sacked groceries at the local grocery store and always raised his hand to my face to let me know he was wearing the original ring whenever I came in. In short, I love my old home so much that almost everything I have unearthed goes on display!
    ...See More

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Location

Q

Comments (150)
    going to be loading my car as well soon, just in case we get some rain - I would like everything to be in there, I have other things I did not mention before - plants that is, that I am bringing too- sure there will be people there who are just starting- and I started doing clippings and now have way too many of some things out here.
    ...See More

Prepping my house to sell and looking back at old posts...

Q

Comments (10)
    My Mom is moving in 40 days and I have been elected to stage her home for sale afterwards since I had such good luck selling mine in SoFla in '07. Both the new and the old homes are roughly in the same town as is my own, so moving/borrowing pieces is easy. Every single square inch of the house she is selling is in excellent condition- those are our pros. The cons are that this will not be the optimum time to offer a house for sale and the resistance I get from her "not liking" how I am decorating a home that her mother built decades ago. She understands in her head but her heart hurts a bit when she hears that I will be replacing some old light fixtures that her mother loved and neutralizing the "every shade of pink and orange known to man" color scheme that permeates the home. She would not move at all except she is coming on eighty years of age and is in a secluded area a bit too far from me- it takes me too long to get to her and in winter she is near inaccessible. The new house is literally seven houses away from me in a more populated area, so we know it is the right thing for her to do. Just that the process is difficult for her emotionally- leaving an old family home. Best of luck to all of us trying to sell this fall.
    ...See More
  • stefanb8
    16 years ago

I'm not sure I want to comment on the pink one just yet, but the white one is easy - Rosa rugosa alba. The one I grow tends to have more fine bristles rather than large prickles.

Maybe a picture or two of the pink rose showing the stems and prickles up close would be helpful.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will try to get more photos ASAP. Will try tomorrow but it is going to be a big day and supposed to have thunderstorms so it could take a couple days. Plus I want to slap on my long lens because my neighbor's tulip tree is blooming and I never could get a close enough shot.

I hope they don't sic that dog I heard barking on me lol. I've no idea who lives there now. Guess I'm going to find out because that's the next rose I want to try to propagate. The alba, too. Hope they will be cooperative about that.

• kaylah
    16 years ago

It looks a lot like madame Isaac Periere but i think she has more petals. A prettier white rugosa would be Blanche Double de Coubert.

Here is a link that might be useful: rugosa

• michaelg
    16 years ago

My, the pink one is beautiful. A side view of a bud showing the base, neck, and sepals might help someone get it.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nervous wreck today. Got pics as best as I could, are in sequence L to R tied to first pic but now I'm rattled and can't remember which buds go to which rose. Slopped through processing.

Had my camera around my neck, go to HD to find out if they have replacement cherry trees for the two I planted earlier that are not doing well, one dead. That's what's got me rattled. A guy is coming this afternoon to dig out the old ones, but I had to see if they had replacement ones. The few North Stars they had looked about as bad as mine. Found 2 dwarf Mountmorency (I want two matching ones) instead of the original North Star, they looked healthier, so can they hold them for me until I get the NS dug out and bring back with the warranty paperwork this afternoon? No. What can I do? My only choice was to buy the two new trees and drag those home. Then take the other ones back this afternoon after they get dug out.

I have all my paperwork in order. If they hassle me about the return I am going to be really upset.

Plus my wand trigger sticks, brand new this year, bought somewhere else, luckily I found the receipt so that has to go back and I haven't done my watering yet.

So you can understand why I am nervous and didn't do very well on the photos.

Rang the bell, lady wasn't home, saw next door neighbor out watering, chatted with her a sec, she's not home, will be home about 6 tonight. Is she nice? Yes, she takes great pride in her yard. I was going to ask her if I could have about 6 rose cuttings later on . . .

I think they are mostly slightly different now. Noticed the white alba has very prickly main stems, not as bad as Harison. No photo of that. Did the best I could under the circumstances.

Sorry for venting. I'm almost shaking under all the pressure (not from this). My storage hd has 3.95 gb left (80gb capacity), filled with photos. Have to clean that off before I can take many more pics. I didn't do well for you at all to tell which is which. Sorry. Stuck in another rose in that row I didn't notice last night.

{{gwi:271677}}

{{gwi:271678}}

{{gwi:271679}}

{{gwi:271680}}

{{gwi:271681}}

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

That third picture (second set) is another rugosa. Not sure about the others.

Take a hot bath?

• nrynes
    16 years ago

Well, I'd certainly be asking for cuttings of the pink double at the top of this post! What a beauty! Sorry I can't help with an ID on it...

Nancy

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A hot bath? Not a bad idea. After I dig up and plant two cherry trees if the wind dies down. Guy hasn't shown up yet.

I like both the double pink (#2, 3, 4, same bush) and the other one #6. I'll have to count down to make sure I have the right bushes. Track record isn't so good with cuttings . . .she may not want to give me any out of fear of damaging the bushes, has happened before.

I suppose even cuttings can be off, but the thing of it is, even if we get an ID and find a vendor, there's no assurance that it would be exactly like it, they do tend to vary, no guarantee cuttings would come exactly true either, but the best bet.

Makes me wish I were younger. How I'd like to play with crossing that one. I'm addicted.

• emilyg
    16 years ago

I think a stealth cutting of the pink double may be in order. The current owner of the property clearly doesn't know much about roses...so might be good for posterity to have a cutting of the pink double.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

The red single with big stamens is probably R. rugosa rubra. It and the white one ("rugosa alba," not alba, which is a different group) are variants of the species R. rugosa (rugose = rumpled foliage). They will repeat.

The pink single at the bottom could be a different species rose.

Since you're rattled today, you need to go back and locate which plant is the one you are most anxious to get, in case it's out of bloom later.

• onewheeler
    16 years ago

I agree with the identidy of the rugosas, they are so pretty. If you ever get a chance stick your nose into one of the blooms, I am sure you will want one or two once you have smelled them.

As for the double pink, it is beautiful. No matter who it is I would want a cutting or two to try, it is very pretty. Good luck, I hope you get to talk to the owner soon while the wood is good for cuttings.

Also good luck with the cherry trees. You are certainly working hard in your garden this year. It will be wonderful when it is finished.

Valerie

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stealth cutting. You mean cuttings. I need ins. I hate to do that, but . . .the only ones that have rooted for me so far have been ones I stuck last August. The spring ones all failed because it got too hot, and I'm a novice. If the lady would happen to be extra generous, I could get enough to send a few to someone who has a better batting average. Ins again. I'll play it by ear.

I thought the owner doesn't know much about roses, too. It looks like they were whacked like you'd do a privet hedge.

Right on, michael g. I'm calmer now, dug out the two trees myself, planted the new ones, took the old ones back to HD, enough of that. Hassle. Then the guy shows up finally and the stumps are out. Yay. And my wand seems ok for now. It was stuck on stupid.

As an aside, I asked that guy if he rented the stump grinder. He did. Lined up a bunch of jobs and rented it. Had just finished a bigger one in the neighborhood and was on to another job. Wonder how he makes out doing that.

So tomorrow I won't need to take my camera, but a notebook and write down the two pink bushes. I'm too pooped to go back there tonight.

That white rugosa is sooo tempting just for the foliage, but I fear it might be harder to propagate.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't start this thread for my own selfish wants. When I find something beautiful like that, I like to come up with a plan how I can get enough going to spread them around to people who want them. I'd better ask the lady first. Will do that ASAP, report back, then go from there.

I could offer her 8X10's of a couple of the good shots in exchange for cuttings . . .I really like no fewer than 8 per bush.

Yes, I am working hard, and hope things will ease up in time. I set goals and push to meet them, then setbacks. Things you don't expect. Goes with the territory.

kaylah, among my other eccentricities, as if 22 redbud seedlings are not enough, I order a bunch of European White Birch seeds, 1 pkt; C. Clematis Buchananiana aka Lemon Clematis (drop dead gorgeous yellow bell-shaped blooms, won't survive a winter here), 2 pkts; and C. Integrifolia, blue and mauve, 2 pkts. Came in the mail today.

We'll see what happens with those. Obviously, I'm going to have to drive 50 miles and stash extras of anything that grows (except the yellow clematis) on the farm and pressure my relatives to let me use some of my own land that isn't vital to you know, production . . .I hope my kids will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the Lemon Clematis, other beautiful ones there

• kaylah
    16 years ago

I tried to hatch the seeds on my clematis jackmani once. No luck. Did you figure out how? I'd like to have a million clematis myself.
    I was opening up Bourbon pictures and thought your rose might be Great Western. The petals look right-not sure about the color. I don't know how that rose got to be called Great Western, but it's another passalong pioneer plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Western

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't tried them yet, but am having good luck with my "method". These clematis are definitely more complicated. Plus the packet says I should sow the birch right away because it's been cold treated.

First that Great Western is beautiful. I love the bloom form, but some photos show more purple in it. Did you notice how a rose varies from peoples' pictures? Allowing for camera and processing and monitor calibration and people who think they have one thing but really another, plus different soil conditions, I've noticed how one cultivar doesn't always bloom like you expect it to. That's why I like to do a rose from cuttings or buy from a vendor who doesn't use stock photos.

I ordered the wrong birch. I should have gotten Betula Pendula "youngii". Win a few. Lose a few.

The directions on the clematis packet say: Seeds need cold treatment, best if planted in fall in trays, lightly covering seeds with well-drained potting soil mix and placed in cold frame outside. Bring inside in spring to trigger germination.

So, I have no coldframe. Since the yellow one is tropical, I guess I'll put it in a place in the basement that is heated but gets cold air from a window that is cracked open a little and won't shut. Or the fridge. All winter.

I've been using McDonald's salad trays with 7 slits cut in the bottom (free, they gave me a bunch), other containers like that, my siberian wallflower germinated way quicker than the seed package said in a KFC chicken dinner dish w/lid that already has vent holes in it. I've been mixing up about half peat and half good quality potting soil (Canadian Gold), wet it but not so much you can squeeze water from it. Plant the seeds the required depth. Then pop the lid on and set in the shade outside until they germinate. You have done it right if moisture appears in the lid but big droplets mean the mix is too wet, sometimes it doesn't matter. As soon as I have a few seedlings, I take the lid off and mist a few times a day, then transplant into something bigger, well drained and mist when they dry out. With some, I'm going to slice the mix w/seedlings in sections, dig a shallow hole, stick in topsoil or potting soil, and use a spatula to transfer, water until established. It worked for my yellow petunias I didn't feel like transplanting into seed packs. If I do it in the house, it will work but they grow crooked and weak, even in a south window that gets east and west sun as well.

Then . . .to be continued :-). Maybe.

Noticed my water tasted funny, thought I was losing it, but called the water company, they passed it on to quality control. Then my daughter came over and said she noticed it last night, I guess I wasn't listening. So I guess it's not me. For the first time in my life, I went and got bottled water until I know what the deal is on that. What a day this has been!

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

I love the way you write. You write the way I talk. Don't stop !!! So, make sure you let us know what is wrong with the water.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I either write too much or don't bother to write at all. No middle ground for me. My sister likes my style, too. She's the one with the PhD.

Take a deep breath now. OMG. I found two more roses. They are gorgeous. But let's go back to the water.

I called again today, I was so thirsty I went out and got 2 gal at the store, and they've been having calls from all over town. There was no odor and lots of people don't drink city water. Anyway, the water company spokewoman said it was algae on the Mississippi that got into the plant, and they had to change the way they treat it, they are going to try something different. Do you think there's anything about it on the local paper website? If there is, I couldn't find it. I guess its safe to drink, but it's supposed to last about two weeks. I'm not drinking it until it's back to normal. She said if we get some rain it should help the water level in the Mississippi which is causing the algae.

I went back to the rose house, the one by me, and all he!! had broken loose there. They were taking down that big tree, trucks, you name it. What a mess. I saw the lady and was going up the walk but she went in the house, and I decided it would be bad timing, too much racket going on. But the two I'd like are the second from the left (the one with the flush is next to the bush that looks dead). The other deep pink double one is the first one to the east of the steps. East is on your right in the photos.

Then you will not believe this, but I went to check on another one I've tried and failed to propagate to see how it was blooming this year. It was beautiful in 2003. This year it's tons of mauve pompoms about the size of a silver dollar with ruffles and a yellow button, the bush is so big it would fill my whole front yard. I don't know if I want to try that one again or not, but some years the blooms are much bigger and showy. It smells nice!

So now I'm in observation mode and turn up this steep alley and see this most beautiful white rose that practically jumped in my car, my emergency brake would hardly hold. It's old but it looks similar to the two White Dawn I'm waiting for only with a yellow button. I've chatted with that lady before in front of her house so maybe she will let me have some cuttings.

Then I went to take something back to Big Lots and stopped to get some tacos. On the way home, I decide to check an Isabella lilac I've wanted to try to propagate for a long time.

Oh back up. The one rose near the huge huge mauve bush and the new white one, an unusual pink one, have posted pics before of that, I got two cuttings to root from last year. It's a good thing because the person who does the yard at that house whacked the thing back so much it hardly had a bloom on it. If they let it grow again, it will come back, but you wouldn't even notice it now.

At the Isabella lilac, way over in another part of town, I turned down the alley to have a better look at it. What a mess it is now, was such a beautiful thing at one time; it's days are numbered. I've never seen a lilac quite like it. It's true pink and its foliage is different, can't remember how, but different.

So I look to my right in that alley and see this most gorgeous old cotton candy pink double rose. I hope it storms like it is supposed to because we need the rain, but if it is nice enough in the morning, I will try go around around with my camera and get some shots of all of them for you. That rose is to die for, too, smells beautiful, probably another once-bloomer.

I noticed there were tons of rose hips on it, some more shrivelled than others and picked a bunch of those. Opened one when I got home and found four hard seeds, haven't messed with the other ones yet.

So it's time to try some seeds, but I went to Walmart and got a bunch of dishpans because I'm going to ask for a lot more cuttings . . .also got a pump, tubing and connector to try that bubble method for rooting clematis. For the heck of it, I will see if it will do anything with my Dr. Huey.

This is so exciting! I warned you to take a deep breath. I'll do my best to get some more pictures. There must be tons more around this area. Nobody thinks anything of them and is out at Walmart buying those instead.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll try to be briefer, took a lot more shots than I'm posting, some yellow iris and daisies by a white fence, two beautiful clematis, etc.

1 and 2 - Found last night near the home I spent my teenage years in near the Isabella lilac.

3 - An interesting shot of the one I tried and failed to propagate last year, have more photos of it, the smell wafting from it this morning was heavenly.

4 and 5 - The new white one I found last night just down and up an alley from #3.

6 - The rose that got whacked, up and around the corner from the mauve and white ones, couldn't find a decent bloom, this one I did manage to get two propagated last year and are growing in my yard now, no blooms yet, looked so different in 2003.

7 - Some peonies. While I was taking the photos of those, the lady came out, we introduced ourselves (these are right near the deep pink rose house in top photos), and she went in and got a bag and scissors and cut a beautiful boquet for me which is now in a big, heavy, pressed glass vase on my coffee table. I told her I would get her a large print made and thanked her profusely. Some people are so incredibly kind!

I've got more of stems, buds, detail and stuff.

{{gwi:271683}}

{{gwi:271685}}

{{gwi:271687}}

{{gwi:271182}}

{{gwi:271184}}

{{gwi:271689}}

{{gwi:271690}}

• kaylah
    16 years ago

Now that i know how to hatch a clematis, I'll give it a try this fall. Here's something to keep you busy this evening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilacs

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I presume you mean the instructions I typed out while my daughter read them off the packet for me?

Last night I dug out an old thread about propagating clematis the hydroponic way, called the bubble method, trotted, rather braved the traffic out to Walmart and bought an aquarium pump, plastic hose, and connectors so you can have two going at once. Forgot the water stone(s). So I'll have to go back and get some and bird seed I forgot, too. I think I'm repeating some of this here, I didn't sleep well last night, hardly at all in fact.

But to propagate any clematis, you have to have some to start with and that means if you want the lemon bells ones or other exotic ones, you have to get some going from seed first. Man, I photographed the most gorgeous clematis today. Maybe the lady who owns that property will give me a few cuttings of that (the one with the mauve rose who gave me permission to take as many cuttings as I wanted from that). Huge lavendar blooms, single, probably common enough, just a fine specimen of whatever it was, growing on a chain link fence.

You would have to sic the lilac wizard on me now wouldn't you :-)? I'm off to see what he has to say now. Thank you for the link. I love this stuff, won't be able to keep up with all of it though. I did read up long ago about how to propagate lilacs, but never got around to trying it. Now I'll find out the best way.

We've had terrible wind the last couple of days. Some branches of my big tree came down. Maybe that lady got hers out just in time? Finally some rain! Yay! And my french drain I made got put to the test. It worked! It might overflow if we have a real deluge, but it made me feel like I had accomplished something for a change that actually works. For now anyway.

• kaylah
    16 years ago

I never did know there was a pink lilac but now I do.
    Go to this website, click Russian 1, click Skromnitsa, and the lilac there looks suspiciously-peach.

Here is a link that might be useful: lilacs in Tasmania

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are a few other new pink lilacs now, one is growing in a yard the other way from me, doesn't look like Isabella. I think the James MacFarlane is pink, but they don't always necessarily bloom true. I bought some and planted them on the farm, can't remember the names now except for Sensation. They all died but the yellow one because I couldn't be there to get them off to a good start. The yellow one is pretty pale but pretty anyway. There is an oriental yellow one that is more showy in Klehm's catalog.

That other link was a fascinating read. Nothing about propagation, but what a contribution she made. I think I stumbled onto a page of that site before. What a lady! Makes me regret I couldn't have had the foresight to get started in my better years.

Wow, too bad it's an Australian site (can't order from them probably) and too bad I don't have more room for them. We have a beautiful public lilac garden a block away, but there are newer, more exotic ones out there now compared to what they put in about 30 years ago. Still, it is a lovely place.

That is definitely peachy in the bud form, then it looks like it opens to a more pink shade. Beautiful thing. You are finding some neat sites on the web.

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Any chance your lilac could be 'Miss Canada'? That's on the salmony side of pink, for sure. The branches are what I would call "chunky" and the leaves large compared to the old Syringa vulgaris.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think kaylah was referring to this one:

{{gwi:271691}}

Miss Canada looks like this, looks quite different to me.

In any case, both are beautiful and most unusual for my parts anyway, they should grow nicely here where I live.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your adventures. I agree on the first white rugosa, Blanc Double de Cobert or very close. I forget once I have shovel-pruned a rose and I shovel-pruned that one. It looks beautiful in cooler climates but in the south it looks like dirty kleenex from the heat and humidity, plus it gets disease and cannot be sprayed.

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

That lower lilac looks just like my James McFarlane. The foliage is chartreuse green. I can post a photo later if you want to see it. It's a late Canadian variety, and mine is just now starting to bloom.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I would like to see it, Michelle. Add any photos you want. I'm trying to figure out where to put a Beauty of Moscow. That Canada lilac the blooms look spikier for want of a better word. The peach one has blossoms more like my common lavender one.

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Oh my, I went to photo James McFarlane and some show-off was posing in the garden, wanting to be in the photo.

{{gwi:271693}}

Cheers,
    Michelle

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Ah, but seeing the color difference, now I think it could be a related Canadian lilac - Miss Canada

photo is from Monrovia:

Cheers,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, did you get a nice shot there, Michelle. That is my favorite butterfly in all the world, and I don't see too many around here ever.

I pulled in Monrovia's photo, too, lol. Yours looks exactly like it except for the color and the veins in the leaves of the truer pink look more pronounced, although yours don't show up too well in your photo. I've learned not to trust color in photos for the web overmuch.

Maybe it's the soil or another lilac in the same class; I'm no expert. The color of yours is beautiful, more of a pinkish purple, gorgeous!