SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob319

B&S Power Loss - Solved! Is it worth it?

rob319
14 years ago

IÂve had several problems with my 3 year old 18hp Briggs & Stratton Intek Engine (31H777) including losing almost all power and blowing head gaskets after it runs for 15 or 20 minutes.

After a lot of troubleshooting and some guidance from other board members I have discovered the problem.

The exhaust "lobe" on the camshaft is worn to the point of being almost round. I believe this was caused by the valves being out of adjustment from the factory, creating high compression and causing excessive wear on the cam which then made the problem worse by not exhausting enough gas which I believe would create a cycle of quick wear and even higher pressures that even warped the head.

At any rate I feel confident that I can fix it, but my question is should I?

A new camshaft, gaskets, oil, filter etc.. Will run over $125 with shipping.

I can get a new engine (same model) delivered for about $390.

Does this engine have a good quality reputation? I have read many complaints but this may just be the nature of researching a problem with any engine.

If it were older I would prefer to put the money towards a brand new mower, but everything else is in good shape.

Fix this engine, buy a new one just like it that will drop right in or buy a different brand or model?

I would really like to hear everyoneÂs thoughts about this or similar engines.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions