SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Oh, dear! Are all small evergreens problematic?!? Any ideas?

14 years ago

I'm trying to choose a needled evergreen for a foundation grouping. Each time I think I have found one whose habit, look, and cost meet my requirements, I read something awful about it!

For instance: Wichita Blue Juniper. But then a nurseryman told me to avoid all junipers since they're so disease prone and I also have crabapples.

Or Boulevard Cypress... lovely foliage on the young plants I saw, and a decent price... but then I read about people having to dig them up after a few years because they looked so bad!! Argh!

I want a dwarf-ish evergreen that has a 10-or-15-year "mature" height of about 10' or so, and width of 5' or less.... and can live happily in a very sheltered corner with east exposure that gets about 4-5 hours of sun (maybe 6 hours at midsummer)... and that isn't going to break the bank at a reasonably-sized specimen.

I prefer a more twisted/naturalistic look, versus the tight, dense cones... but at this point I'd consider anything :)

I do understand that a lot of these "dwarf" trees WILL, in time, get bigger, but they're just really slow to get there. That is OK with me (though of course not optimal).

I'd ideally like it to get to at least 6-7 feet tall while I live int he house (~4 years). So I don't want a teeny #2 pot :(

Any ideas?

Comments (10)