SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_p8

Reheating a Compost Pile

veronica_p8
13 years ago

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all of your insights and input. This is my first year composting and gardening (modified square foot with amended soil but not raised beds) and I'm hooked :)

I have a question. I have a three bin compost system (chicken wire rounds, 2 @ 4' diameter, 1 @ 5' for first additions like kitchen scraps and lawn waste, all 3' high) and I layered greens and browns from bin 1 (rawest and largest) into bin 2 and spiked it with aerated compost tea to make sure things got going. It reached 130 degrees in about 3-4 days :) It maintained that temp for about a week, I kept poking it with rebar to try to chimney vent and aerate it, and then the temp started to decline to about 110. I thought I'd flip it into bin 3 (the most finished in my plan) to get it more O2, but then it rained about 14 inches in 6 days! :(

By the time I flipped it, it was an anerobic soggy stinky mess. I took the temp of it after a week (hoping it would dry out) and it was 50 degrees *sigh*

So ... I just spread half of it back into bin 2 intermixing some layers of dryish grass clippings. Both bins 3 and 2 are now half full to try to help them dry out more with grass clippings mixed in to try to heat them both up again.

Is this something you composting experts would have done? Any other suggestions?

-veronica

Comments (24)