SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rplong

Husqvarna LTH 130 Battery Fire

rplong
15 years ago

I have a Husqvarna LTH130. I have had a dead battery for a while and have been jumping it to start it. No problem as long as there is a car close by. The starter seemed to be having some trouble, so I went down to the bone yard and pulled a "new" starter for it. Worked fabulously. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a battery for it. I got home from work, swapped out the battery, and it started up like new. I went in and ate dinner. Afterwards I went out into the garage and noticed a slight haze. A brief investigation indicated the source of the haze was the flaming lawn tractor. A few shots with a fire extinguisher and the fire was out. Several questions:

1. Any thoughts as to the cause of the fire? The battery was the source of the fire. I must have caught it fairly quickly after it started because there was not significant damage to the mower, just some melted insulation as the fire burned down the battery cables. I stripped the mower down to the chassis and could find no evidence of a short or arc.

2. I removed the battery and sent it back to the manufacturer to get their opinion. I then shoved the mildly charred beast down the drive way (before the autopsy above). Carefully separating the battery cables, I jumped the mower off my car and it started fine. When I disconnected the jumper cables the engine died. Should it have?

3. I replaced all the burned wiring and reassembled the beast. I have the same results as above. Jumps fine, but dies when the jumper cables are removed. Is a battery required for the mower to continue running? I have a dead one I put in, just in case. I am hesitant to buy another new one at this time, because my fire extinguisher is a bit low. BTW, I disconnected the battery once I was done fiddling with it for the reasone mentioned above.

I would appreciate any help.

Richard

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions