SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

Question about air flow in a hot pile

candogal
13 years ago

Working on our first hot compost pile, and I'm wondering about air flow.

We put sticks & brush cut up on the bottom of the pile for air flow. (From a recipe we found online.) It made it harder to turn the pile when you got down lower. I'm wondering what others use, and if this is strictly necessary? Sure, it all depends on materials - I get that. We've got a mix of various things, and it does make sense to me that amping up the air flow on the bottom, along with some air pockets throughout, would be a good thing.

Turning that puppy was something else (did it the first time yesterday). Duh, it never occured to me that working with something that hot (even though I need to add more greens and it was only 110) would be sweaty work. I do keep meaning to go to the gym more, though, so no real complaints.

Do others use something in the middle to aerate the pile? We've got a plenty of odd bits of PVC around here, so it would be easy to drill holes in a piece, put that in the middle, and build the pile around that. Of course then there's the issue of plastics leaching - I'm aware of that and can judge those issues, so no need to alert me to that, thank you. Just wondering about aeration & what's worked for others.

Comments (8)