SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanadoll_gw

Devastating Bacterial Cane Blight

nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
12 years ago

A horrible rose plague has descended on the Boise area in SW Idaho. After two years of cold, late, wet springs, in our normally hot, dry climate, we've been hit hard by bacterial cane blight (P. syringae, undetermined pathovar). Boise's public rose garden, of modest size, has lost over 500 roses so far this year. Last year, I had one rose with the blight, this year, most of my roses are infected, and each day I find more. It's whack, whack, whack, down to nothing for some, and I don't know where it will end. I had five big established Evelyn's which did not have a single cane that wasn't blighted. Four were cut to the ground, and one was dug up. They are roaring back, but what will happen next year? I know there will be many more that will have to go before this is over. I'm sitting here in tears typing this--it's been a rough day.

I need your help and advice, please. What, if any, is your experience with this blight? Our newspaper's gardening columnist said that the plant pathologist at the local University Research and Extension Center advised to spray with a copper based fungicide such as Phyton 27 in fall, then when half the rose leaves have fallen, and in early spring. But if this disease is bacterial, how can a fungicide be of help. They are two different kinds of organisms.

I am so disheartened that I may have to abandon my beloved roses. Diane

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County