SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasscatcher

K66 + 42-inch deck - anybody make one?

grasscatcher
9 years ago

Hi all, I've currently got a lawn tractor (Craftsman DYS4500) that has 106 hours on it and the K46BT tranny appears to be giving up the ghost (slipping on hills). At least I think it's the tranny. I just replaced the drive belt to see if the problem was with the old belt, and everything else looks OK underneath, but it is still slipping. Tranny slips while ascending moderate hills. If I feather the "go" pedal, I can make it up some of the hills slowly. If I try to go at a normal speed, the transmission shudders a little underneath me and the tractor loses forward momentum. Also happens when the tractor is cold, just not quite as bad. I will do the tranny fluid change next to see if I can get another year out of it.

In the meantime, I guess it is time I keep my eye out for a good deal on a garden tractor. I don't have much to mow, just a half-acre, but it is almost all hills, with plenty of obstacles, trees, etc. Thinking I would like a K66 tractor so I don't have to worry about the tranny going out at 100 hours; however, I am looking for a 42" deck, because 1) my shed door is only 48" wide, 2) garden gates are only 48" wide, and 3) some of the obstacles I am mowing around necessitate a smaller deck (e.g. - 46" gap between several trees and fence). I thought about a walk-behind or commercial stand-on or sulky unit, but I would also like to pull a sweeper, and maybe an occasional cart.

So, question is, does any manufacturer offer a K66 GT with a 42" deck? First glance at several retailers does not indicate such an animal exists. Can a 42" deck be retrofitted to the GTs? Will a dealer offer that option in place of a 48" deck? Don't see a reason to pay $600 - $800 for a 48" deck that I won't be able to use. Also, I would like to keep it under $4k, so that eliminates the green tractor unless I go used...

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions