SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Penstemons - do tell

User
10 years ago

Obviously, I have quite a few penstemons (who doesn't?) but usually of the pedestrian border penstemons such as 'Sour Grapes', Alice Hindley, Raven, White bedder et al....and, of course, Husker's Red. A couple of species have crept in over the years (barbatus, heterophyllus) but anyway, what good plants they are. In flower more or less endlessly from around now till practically Xmas, requiring 1 hard cut a year and almost zero extras - what's not to like....apart from a fairly sun-loving temperament which is possibly in shortish supply in my future gardening adventures. Still in woodland denial with a floral fixation (I don't even care that my hosta is in tatters), I started looking closer at this genus. OMG - where have they been and why have I never heard of them? P.cyanea, p.grandiflora, p.cobaea, campanulatus, gracilinus....there are 100s and they are all gorgeous.
Dare not ask on the wildflowers/native site either, since I am obviously not growing natives if I am wanting seeds of US and Mexican plants for my english, dry, sandy, calcareous, free-draining soil (I can work on the sunny bit) - ideal for penstemons. Colorado, Illinois, Missouri gardeners - please advise?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH