SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Commercial Compost Bins

Carrie B
13 years ago

I recently decided to trade in my ten year old city-issued Earth Machine compost bins. I'm an urban gardener/composter with very little (@ 500 sq. ft) outdoor space. In order to maintain the aesthetics of my garden, I've opted for enclosed bins rather than an open pile or pallet/wire type bins.

I searched to web for replacements, and came across the Thermoquick bins pictured below. Since I have a small space, these bins seemed perfect, and they were not any less attractive than any others I saw, and the price was right. I looked at reviews, but most of the reviews appeared to be written by folks who had never composted before "it took months to make compost", "there's no bottom on these bins!", "it attracted flies", etc.

I decided to buy them. Once I got them home & assembled, I recycled the packaging and transfered my putresceables from the Earth Machines to the new Exaco Thermoquick bins. All was fine until, a few days later, I brought out my garden fork to turn the compost. The sides split apart on bin #1. I decided that I must have assembled it incorrectly and went on to bin #2, same thing.

I am going to call the manufacturer (they have limited business hours) to see if they'll provide me with an exchange or some devices to hold the bins together. If that gets me nowhere, I'll call BJ's (the Online seller) and see if I can return them w/o packaging & even though I've technically used them.

So, my questions: 1) what would you do? and 2) Do you have good experience w/ any particular type of commercial bin, given that I may very well be exchanging these two new bins?

Thanks, Carrie

{{gwi:291494}}

Comments (25)