SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Are Big Sky Coneflowers Diseased?

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I'm starting to think the Big Sky Series plants are diseased. Do you remember the Sunset Echinacea with the quilled petals? It was quietly discontinued, but why was this plant so distorted? Did it carry Phytoplasma?

I now have a Harvest Moon plant which came back from last year and now it has those same quilled petals of the discontinued Sunset. Their official reason for removing that plant was a "problem with the propagation." Could it be that the plants were infected with Yellow Asters and somehow they were released anyway?

I am going to pull this Harvest Moon plant from my flower bed. I did notice it had a few quilled petals last year, but this year they are on almost every bloom.

I really think something is going on with these plants. I have seen so many weird things since I planted them. When I grew only the old fashioned varieties, I never had issues like this.

Tissue culture is supposed to produce plants identical to the original plant. There is clearly something wrong with these plants. Should we stop buying tissue cultured coneflowers until these questions are answered? I know I am. I'm going to take all the yellow, orange and other colored coneflowers and plant them some place far away from my other plants. I think they should do some testing on these plants to find out what's causing this bloom distortion. It looks horrible!

Comments (10)