SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Something wrong with crabapple and serviceberry?

butterclem
15 years ago

Hi, Neither my crabapple or serviceberry bloomed this spring. The crabapple has the nicest, most complex structure of any crabapple I've ever seen so I'm particularly concerned about it. Last year it was an absolute blizzard of bloom in April, and it had a gorgeous crop of fruit throughout the winter. The fruit finally started falling sometime in March, and the tree has leafed out beautifully. Actually, it had one little bouquet of blossoms a couple of weeks ago(as did the serviceberry), but they lasted only a day. And, no, it is not the case that they are just getting ready to bloom! We're beyond that, and neither of them has any buds.

They were both planted in the spring of 2007. That was a vicious spring and their buds had been frozen in the nursery, so of course there was no bloom that year. But 2008 was glorious. I have a professional tree service prune and fertilize my trees (these two are my only ornamentals). They haven't a clue what could be wrong. They certainly didn't get frozen this spring; there were no buds to freeze, and they would have been fine had there been.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I do something? Could I accidentally have chosen a crabapple that only blooms alternate years?!

Any help appreciated.

Comments (16)