SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miks2442

Crape Myrtle Natchez zone 7 Survival?

miks2442
13 years ago

I live in Oklahoma City and I purchased a 5 ft CM Natchez last year to replace a braford pear that fell. I chose this because it fits in a small space between my house and driveway and we need some shade from the western sun that shines into our kitchen all summer.

We had snow this winter and I am pretty positive that it has died back to the ground since all the branches are very briddle. It is on the NW side of our house so I konw it may have received some chilly winds. People say that it was an unusual winter, but since I have moved here 3 years ago, this has been the norm.

My question is, is it common for natchez to die back to the ground each year in Zone 7a or is this just because I purchased a young/small tree? Some people say that if I purchase a larger more established one that it should survive winters here, but I don't want to spend $250 on a tree if there is a possiblity I will have to replace it again soon. Because of how hot our kitchen gets, it is necessary to have some shade thorugh out the summer so I would like to purchase something that will be permenant. Will wraping the main trunks/branches in burlap help for winter protection?

Thanks!

Comments (5)