SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamashinn

Horse manure 2-3 months old

mamashinn
10 years ago

I just found a free supply of horse manure. Went today, and the guy that owns the horse farm loaded our trailer full of manure that he said was several months old. It was in a larger pile and he took the manure from the back of the pile, as opposed to the front, where all the fresh manure gets put. I have a few concerns: 1) that the manure hasn't composted enough and I will be exposing my family to ecoli by planting my veggies now. 2) there seems to be a good deal of hay in the manure. How will this affect weeds and unwanted growth in the soil? 3) I lined my 4 x 4 raised beds with plastic stapled to sides to keep the pressure treated wood from coming into contact with the soil, and I laid cardboard down in the bottom of the beds to prevent grass from growing up into the beds. I didn't wet the cardboard before filling the beds with the manure. Does this setup sound like a good one? Will the plastic (visqueen) affect the soil in any way? Thanks for any suggestions! FYI, I have been given some well-established vegetables from someone's garden and they are currently in containers. I am under time constraint to get them into the ground before they start to decline. I want to plant them in the beds immediately, but also want to be safe.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting