SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccoupkir

NIU Shootings

16 years ago

Hello to all my friends on the ws forum.

Although I haven't been posting much this season, I have still been lurking and enjoying all the topics. I just wanted to let all of you know that NIU is where I am pursuing my PhD. I am also teaching 2 genetics labs. I was just entering the the parking deck when the shootings occurred. As I pulled out of the deck, the streets had already been blocked by police cars. I was probably one of the last cars allowed to leave DeKalb before they locked the campus down. I had to drive for almost 20 miles before I found out what happened. I really thought that there had been another terrorist attack, maybe aimed at colleges and universities.

To make a long story very short, I am asking all of my good friends here to keep the NIU family in your thoughts and prayers. One of my students was in the lecture hall at the time of the shooting. He escaped unharmed but I am sure highly traumatized. We don't know when classes will resume or how many student will opt to not return. It has been a truly shocking and cruel experience that I thought could never happen to our isolated school "in the cornfields of Illinois".

So today the shock has finally worn off and I realize that I, as well, could use the support of all my friends. I am now fearful to be on campus at night and am pondering whether to continue on. Wonderful people, like my ws buddies, will help to keep me sane during this tough time. Thanks to all of you for being who you are. I appreciate each and every one of you.

May God bless you all,

Cheryl ::] (ccoupkir)

Comments (5)

Sponsored