SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19751346

Wheel Horse 310-8 slipping down grade

User
16 years ago

While mowing or just driving down a (not very) steep grade, my 8-speed manual transmission tractor "takes off" and slides down the grade (as if it were in neutral)--until it gets to the level--and then proceeds normally. I can turn around and go right back UP the same slope without any problem. If I apply the brake lightly, it does not skid down the grade---but I don't think I should have to ride the brake down hills.

I have already installed a new tractor drive belt, lubricated the clutch pedal and mechanism, and adjusted brake properly. The clutch return spring seems to be in good order---and is pulling hard against the clutch trunion. The belt idler pulley is free-wheeling and pivots OK.

I've even tried "pulling up hard" on the clutch pedel while going down hill... tractor still slips.

I am ABOUT to try using some belt dressing on the drive belt, but hesitate using something which is usually described as, at best, a temporary fix. I've also read about steel-wooling all the pulley sheaves, but have not done this yet either.

Any theories?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions