SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maele_gw

in need of a palest pink rose

maele
14 years ago

Yes as we all know, when you get an idea in your head it immediately gets upgraded to a need... should I get

Queen of Sweden

Johann Strauss

Bride's Dream, Belinda's Dream, Bridal Pink

Ambridge Rose

Heritage Rose (is there even a difference between HR and AR)

you know, now that I think about it, in a totally unrelated color family... which of these three would you get, or two of the three to complement each other?

Lady Emma Hamilton

Tamora

Pat Austin

Also, if the flowers last on the bush in hot weather, that is a plus. Thanks in advance to all you enablers out there!

Comments (30)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Ambridge Rose is apricot, not pink.

{{gwi:273804}}

Heritage got really large in my garden...8x8 at least, and the flowers are ephemeral even in cool weather.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Hmm.. pink..
    Heritage is beautiful.
    Our Lady of Guadelupe
    I'm really loving my Octavia Hill

I have a rose called Sarah that's really pretty
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Mountain Music

Darker pink - August Renoir

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

If the search feature is working pull up the thread on Queen of Sweden started by me. Modern Man posted some pictures that were drop dead gorgeous of this newer Austin intro. I'd heard good things about it, but after seeing those pictures I bought one. It's only cycled once, but is already putting on new growth. It's got a very upright growth habit that works well for my tight spot. Belinda's Dream can get quite large in a warm climage (6x6)and has reputed problems with Thrips. I don't grow it, but every time I see a bloom at the nursery I think it's lovely. Supposed to be very disease resistant too. Our Lady of Guadalupe deserves a place in everyones garden IMO. Pat Austins blooms don't even last a day during our summers. Beautiful color, healthy plant, just not for our heat. Tamora is a nice Austin that has the added advantage of growing well in part shade. Booms shatter, so it's not for cutting. Very thorny, needs to be sprayed in my area.

• reedrune
    14 years ago

I'm obsessed with Eden, which is really cream edged with pink. But so pretty...

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

I second some of the ones already listed:

Our Lady of Guadalupe - very, very pretty silvery pink. Not a large plant.
    {{gwi:273805}}

Belinda's Dream - very large blooms (more of a mid pink I think) Can get very large! (and the thrips love mine)

Here is one that I believe to be Bride's Dream. Earlier this year I bought (what I THOUGHT) were 5 Brass Brand's.....three of those turned out to be mislabeled (very annoying!!!). The following pictures are of the plant that is the mislabeled one but I'm pretty sure that I have identified it as Bride's Dream. These pictures are from early April so the plant has grown since that time:
    {{gwi:273806}}
    {{gwi:273808}}
    {{gwi:273809}}

I have come to really love this interloper because it has been so healthy and grown so nicely and has produced blooms continuously since I planted it in February. I don't know how tall it is supposed to get but mine has remained pretty compact (as in about 3 feet tall so far) and full foliaged.

Lynn

• maele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh I forgot, Sharifa Asma! Is she pink?
    Also, for Our Lady of Guadalupe I already have plans...
    Thanks for the tip on Belinda's Dream, she does look beautiful but not quite as pale pink as I want.
    Eden is lovely...
    I have seen Queen of Sweden, took my breath away, I think she is the one!
    p.s. thanks for talking me out of Tamora and Pat, since I need less not more roses.

• steelrose
    14 years ago

I love many pink roses but for pale to palest you're right to think of Johann Strauss. Mine gives no trouble, just lots of ethereally lovely, huge blooms. Another you might consider is Pretty Lady---never ever stops blooming.

Colleen

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Sharifa is gorgeous, beautiful blooms with wonderful strong fragrance. Healthy foliage, too. I love it.

{{gwi:273810}}

Masha

• liane_z4_canada
    14 years ago

Bride's deam has perfect form and is great for longevity. I found it to pale and got rid of it.
    Liane

• celeste/NH
    14 years ago

For palest pink, there is Bride's Dream, Quietness, or Sheer Bliss. Heritage is a light shell-pink. Our Lady of Guadalupe is light pink, and has darker pink on the petal backs. Then there are other light pinks....loads of them. There are so many wonderful light pinks out there, far too numerous to post all of them but here are a few....I love them all.

Celeste

Bride's Dream.....

{{gwi:273811}}

Quietness....

{{gwi:273812}}

Queen of Sweden....

{{gwi:273813}}

Octavia Hill....

{{gwi:273814}}

Austin's Eglantyne......

{{gwi:273815}}

Sheer Bliss....

{{gwi:273816}}

Heritage....

{{gwi:273818}}

Moonstone.....

{{gwi:273819}}

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Order 'Larry Daniels' from Vintage.
    They have a good, vigorous clone of that L*ggett introduction. It's a nice blush shade, and a lovely plant with all of the virtues of the sport-parent, "Grantmother's Hat."

You can't go wrong.
    It will be fragrant, disease-free, and continuous-blooming.

Jeri

• maele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohhh... thank you for the beautiful pictures.
    I will have to think about Heritage and Sharifa Asma because of the weather here, but Johann Strauss, Queen of Sweden, and Bride's Dream are definitely coming to live at my house, because how else will I know if I love them?

Now about Larry Daniels, not what I am looking for but he could be my very first hybrid perpetual, therefore leading me down yet another road to dangerous rose addictions... funny how all roads converge at the same place.

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

I have Johann Strauss and I am not sure what the fuss is over him. He is OK and he blooms a lot but I don;t think there is any comparison to the Austin pinks. I detect no fragrance from JS. I keep him because he fills in his spot in my pink garden between some others I planted the same year, Evelyn, and Heritage, but I always go to them to ooh and ahh. He also gets kind of ugly when it rains on him...lots of brown marks. THe bush has been very healthy though. Maybe he is more exciting in other climates. And I know that there are some rose fragrances I can't pick up. Johann is one of them.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Don't think of Larry Daniels as a Hybrid Perpetual.
    The HPs have their own whole set of negatives for California -- but Grandmother's Hat stands aside from those issues, and so does Larry Daniels. (And so for that matter, does the even paler 'Tina Marie.')

As with Grandmother's Hat, you can prune him as though he was a HT, or you can let him go on his own, as a tall, upright specimen, or you can treat him as an espaliered climber.

In Southern California, these will have no disease issues.
    They bloom right through the year, and are fragrant, with a good vase life.

Jeri

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

Secret is so pale it's almost a white with a pink tinge to it.
    It's an HT but the bonus is the fragrance.
    Does well for me here, and it's one I wouldn't be without.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    14 years ago

Take a good hard look at Classic Touch. One of the finest pale pink HT's I've ever seen.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

p.s. thanks for talking me out of Tamora and Pat, since I need less not more roses.

You have to get Pat.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

I don't know where you are, and that could color some recommendations. In addition to those already mentioned, Royal Highness, one of Bride's Dream's parents, is also a good candidate. To tell them apart, Royal Highness has a nice, fruity smell while Bride's Dream has no smell. Royal Highness has shiny leaves; Bride's Dream's leaves are a flat or matte finish. Bride's Dream can get quite tall while Royal Highness is of medium height. Flowers are identical in most other respects. Other light pinks to mention are Dainty Bess, Claire Rose, Souvenir de la Malmaison, and Sheer Elegance are nice ones also.

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

I'm biased because my Pat Austin just bloomed today............and is gorgeous. Bloom is doing just fine. Technically it's the bloom's third day being open. Surprisingly, the first bloom isn't nodding, but the 2nd one is. It looks like an eyeball looking at you.

I have Belinda's Dream. I'm not a big fan of the foilage on it, or so much the overall plant, but it's definitely a nice plant. It has a solid mid pink with a very strong sweet smell. Blooms will last relatively long on the rose..........until you touch them........in which case they shatter into a million pieces. Queen of Sweden and Sharifa Asma are both GORGEOUS pinks, although I'm biased because I love austins.

You really can't do any wrong. Every rose mentioned is a top notch rose.

• alabamajanet
    14 years ago

I didn't see Great Century mentioned. I had it years ago, I loved it.

Janet

• bewitched
    14 years ago

Peggy Lee is another rose in the light pink area that merits mention.Really nice blooms that last well on a good plant.

It's only real detraction is that it's hard to find nowadays.

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Oh, and maybe Falling in Love? I smelled it at a nursery - great fragrance. Don't know much about it, unfortunately.

Masha

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

For those that are familiar with Bride's Dream, do you think that the pictures I posted above of my unknown look like that variety? After doing a wee bit of looking, I just guessed that it was BD (actually I saw a labeled rose at a nursery that looked just like my unknown - both from Week's - and deduced what it was). My flower looks a bit different than the one Celeste posted but I was having some thrip problems at the time and that may have accounted for the difference. I really like this rose - whatever it is - and would like to know!

Lynn

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    14 years ago

Kathryn Morley
    Sharifa Asma
    Heritage
    Souv de la Malmaison
    Victorian Spice
    English Sachet
    Cecile Brunner
    Billy Graham
    Royal Highness
    New Dawn
    Gruss an Aachen
    Queen Margrethe
    Promise
    Pearl Essence
    Morden Blush
    Lady of the Dawn
    Bride's Dream
    Pretty Lady
    Marchesa Boccella
    Pearly Gates
    Bonica
    St Cecilia
    Colette

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I don't consider Colette pink, more apricot.

I had Frederic Mistral years ago. Beautiful pink rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Frederic Mistral

• peachiekean
    14 years ago

Scepter'd Isle - Austin - Pale pink in my garden and a steady bloomer.
    Catherine Mermet - Tea - getting mildew for me but the weather is at fault. Sort of a peach pink.
    Eglantine - pale pink and tall. Holds blooms well. Heavy spring bloom and light after that.

• maele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been looking but unable to find Secret, and many others.
    Oh no roselvr, Pat is back on the list, although "eyeball looking at you" from another post is not much of a recommendation:)
    No no decobug, no more encouraging! Many of yours are already on "the list". As a matter of fact, I should start a thread where people can list what is wrong with every rose they have ever grown. A lot more helpful especially if I post my current and everexpanding list of roses and you all tell why I shouldn't get them.

• nickelsmumz8
    14 years ago

Heritage is in a class by itself for flower form, IMO. If I liked the color I might be forced to grow it just for that.

Can I ask Jeri why she asterisked L*ggett?

• chuck_billie
    14 years ago

L*ggett is code for a former Rose grower who really pissed off the former owner of this forum Spike.
    If you type that in with an i you will be directed away from this forum.
    Us old timers call it getting sent to Disneyland.
    It's how Spike used to keep people in line.
    The person mentioned above is no longer in business so it should be a moot point but it's not.

• nickelsmumz8
    14 years ago

What if you wanted to refer to the tobacco company? Gosh. My mom just spent the year living in an old L*ggett Tobacco warehouse converted to lofts while a visiting scholar in Durham, NC. What if I wanted to discuss the historic roses in the area? I guess not! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!