SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbif_gw

Help! Afraid to cover exposed roots of large copper beech

bobbif
17 years ago

We have a large (maybe over 50 feet high?) copper beech tree in our yard that is much loved by the whole neighborhood. It has exposed roots that are exposed here and there on the ground around the tree, in a pretty wide circle, and little grass grows there. Frankly, we've lived here 21 years and it never bothered us that there wasn't good grass under the tree. Last fall we dug a new sidewalk and the landscaper piled the extra soil about 18 inches high around the base of the tree, going out about 10 feet, and told me that in the spring he wanted to spread it out to cover all the roots, but for the winter he wanted it thicker to preserve the extra soil. Now he is proposing that he spread the soil out in a circle enclosing the exposed roots area, with some sort of edge, and plant hostas covering the ground and the roots within the circle. I know next to nothing about trees, but hesitated because I hate the circle look (which seems unnatural to me) and I'm worried that it won't be good for the tree. Looking online,I've seen references to the need for some large tree roots to get oxygen, but I can't find anything specific about copper beech trees, and there is conflicting information about whether it's OK to put a thin layer of soil on, or whether some shrubs would be a good idea. Although at least half of the roots were not covered by the extra soil, have I damaged the tree by leaving some of them covered over the winter? I would appreciate any help I could get.

Comments (8)