SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patchworkfarm_gw

Compost Mistakes

patchworkfarm
13 years ago

Most compost mistakes are pretty easy to correct. A few, though, may haunt you for a while. I've made a mistake that I have to face again and again for the last 5 years.

I compost in various places around my place. I usually try to get one good hot pile going a year. The other piles are tucked along the pastures and in the woods where they slow compost for a year or two before harvesting.

September six years ago, I decided to hot compost right at the edge of the veggie garden. We also butchered chickens for the first time that year, and I added the by-products of that event to the pile. Once winter set in, the pile cooled, but we ate chicken all winter and I added the spent carcasses to the now cold pile.

Come spring planting time, I spread the pile on the garden, sifting out some still intact bones into my new cold pile. In the fall of that year, I spread the new pile into the garden before winter, figuring that those bones would HAVE to compost by spring.

I just planted my fourth vegetable garden since that cycle. I'm still finding intact chicken bones. Brittle, but still intact. By the scores, still.

I have learned my lesson. For the last 3 years, I now stew all my cooked chicken bones in the crockpot overnight. As a result I get both chicken stock for the freezer, and maleable bones much more suitable for the compost pile.

What's your most memorable compost mistake?

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting