SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
land_in_berg

renovate a weeping cherry

land_in_berg
17 years ago

A grand old weeping cherry tree came with the house we bought last summer. When we moved in, I noticed that several of the branches looked dead but many others had leaves. The whole tree had a bit of a sad look to it.

But now it is coming in to bloom and it is the first time we have seen it this way. It's just a beautiful old tree. The trunk is about 10' tall. It then splits to 3 big branches which then divide out to make a canopy. The tree is about 30' tall. Part of the root system seems to go under the garage. The rest is currently covered by a gravel "patio", compliments of the previous owner.

I would say 75% of the smaller branches have blooms. The rest are dead. The bark of the trunk has a big split (~ 1'x2') in it about half way up. It looks a little rotten inside.

What are the chances this tree can be saved? I plan to prune away the dead branches. What is the best time of year to do this? Is there anything I can do about the diseased-looking split in the bark? Is there anything I can do to help the tree in general, given that it has probably been in that same spot for 20+ years.

Comments (2)