SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Pagoda Dogwood Questions

15 years ago

I was thinking of the Pagoda Dogwood for two locations on my property, though I have no first hand experience with this tree.

The first location is directly next to my foundation on the north side of my house - dappled afternoon shade only, and in a protected alcove more or less. I have approx. 4 feet from my house to my property line.

The second location is placement as a specimen planting at the front corner of my house, northeast facing with minimal morning dappled sunlight, positioned away from the foundation.

I came across the Pagoda Dogwood 'Argentea' cultivar, a variegated form, and it sounds like you need a dark backdrop or evergreens to really make the color pop on this one, which I don't have.

What drew me to this is that it's a smaller cultivar, and I've read that it's ideal to plant next to your foundation, so I thought this would be perfect for the side of my house, however, I'm unsure of the long term width it will span from my property line. I don't mind if it grows into a canopy, but I read the tree branches out three feet from grade, and depending on the span, it may put the branches directly in my neighbors driveway, an obvious problem.

Which cultivar(s) would be ideal for what I'm looking for in each location? I have this bare wall on the side of my house, and I'd love to add an ornamental shade tree there for interest.

Suggestions? Thanks

Comments (4)