SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
respond2us

6.5 Acres... deciding on a ZTR

respond2us
10 years ago

Hey, all! I've gotten tons of great info on here about ZTR's and brands so far. This forum is awesome!
So, I'm in the process of buying a 6.5 acre piece of land, has a house, a shop and a couple other structures but mostly it's wide open. My current mowers (for the half acre I live on) are a Toro Pro-Line 44" walk behind ztr (planning to get a set of jungle wheels or something similar soon) and a craftsman garden tractor with a 50" cut. I figure, if I HAVE to while I'm figuring out which ZTR to buy, I can mow the land temporarily with these machines. However, it'd take forever.

As I've been researching on this forum, I get a pretty good sense that the Bad Boy mowers are good quality and priced pretty good for what you get... also, the Hustlers sound like a good ride as well.

Our local dealer here in town has both. We've visited a couple times and they seem to be very helpful, friendly and well-stocked with mowers and parts. They also have a large service department.

The sales guy has been very informative. He says the Outlaw with a 60 inch blade would do the job nicely, but I found out yesterday that the Outlaw XP has the front suspension, slightly more HP and an electric deck (not sure how much we'd use that feature). The suspension seems like it might be nice, but we've never mowed this place so we're not exactly sure what to expect (bumps, potholes, etc). I think the Outlaw XP with a 72" deck is about $2k more than the Outlaw with the 60". ($9k vs $7k)

So, I have about 20 questions embedded in this message...haha...

If anyone has an opinion on Bad Boy mowers or Hustlers, I'm listening with open ears and open mind. I'm not set on Bad Boy yet, it's just the brand I've done the most research on so far.

The sales guy did say the Hustler has a better warranty (3 year vs 2 for the Bad Boy, I believe?) but he said the Bad Boy will be a smoother ride because the seat is directly above the rear axle on the Hustler. On the Bad Boy, the seat is in front of the rear axle. I'm not sure if that matters or not, that's just what he said.

So...Bad Boy or Hustler? (Or a different brand altogether?) Outlaw or XP? 60" or 72"?

The reason we're considering the 72" deck is that we don't want to be mowing any more than we have to. We'll be building a house on the land and working on improving it for the next few years, and don't want mowing to be any more of a time suck than it has to be. The land seems reasonably flat (meaning no ditches or anything where the 72" could scalp), but may be bumpy once we get in there. It's basically an open field with a medium sized pond in one corner. If we could go out and knock the mowing out in a couple hours a week, that would be great.

Budget is fine on either mower. I just don't want to waste money on more mower than I really need. I'd love to buy a big awesome mower and not have to buy another one again for 15 or 20 years, but I don't know if that's reasonable or not.

I'm leaning toward the Outlaw with 60" deck, but I'm not set on it and I'd really like to hear some opinions. This will be my first ZTR.

Thanks for the help! Chris

Comments (9)

Sponsored