SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
troller_mo

Broken Sway Arm Bracket on Craftsman

troller_mo
14 years ago

Started out with just a simple deck removal to clean and resharpen blades on my '03 Craftsman GT5000 and then I noticed my deck sway arm bracket(keeps the deck from swinging side to side). I thought it was just a little loose from the bolts, then I got to looking closer--The bracket was broken where it attached with the bolt to framework. If you saw this piece, you'd understand why, as the factory drilled leaving only 1/8" metal at the edging, so there's no strength to it. So off to garage I go to find a steel washer thick enough to weld on. Found a washer that was same thickness as steel sway bracket with small center hole, to not allow sloppy movement, BUT much larger outside diameter for strength and bolt head contact. Got it welded onto the outside portion of bracket, and included a couple welds on the broken piece and grinded off the top portion of washer to top edge of bracket(fits contour of underside of foot rest) and remounted. Now deck has no swaying action at all. Just a good solid feel that is better than new. So if you notice your deck swaying side to side, check that sway bar bracket(if your deck has one) for looseness or breakage.

Tim

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions