SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twelvegauge

Kohler Command CV13 fuel problem

16 years ago

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. Have lurked long enough to know not to ask "why synthetic over dino oil?"

Kohler Command CV13 engine in lawn tractor; been operating great for 8 years. Suddenly started choking down and dying on me. Runs great for 5 to 15 minutes, then sounds like its running out of gas. I can apply full choke and it starts right up. Sometimes when it starts choking down I can move the throttle to the choke position and it will run long enough for me to get back to the house.

By the way, this engine does not have the fuel cutoff solenoid. I noticed debris in the fuel tank, little pieces of plastic and rubber that fell off the inside of the gas cap. I drained the tank and vacuumed all the crap out of it. Then I changed the fuel filter. Still had the problem.

I took the air filter and its housing off and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. Put it all back together and the mower ran real good for about 20 minutes, then choked down and died. STarted it up, and it sputtered and ran real rough, but I kept moving the throttle control back and forth until it finally caught and ran okay for awhile. Then it choked down again.

I haven't touched any of the adjustment screws on the carb, but is this what I should try next? Or do I need to rebuild the carb? How big a job is that? Is there a carb rebuild kit made for the Walbro (please tell me that doesn't mean Wal-Mart) carb? Any suggestions appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio