SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faded_gw

Newbie Needs Help deciding which LT

16 years ago

A week ago I didn't know much about LT's so I started searching and lurking here only to find out I know less then I originally thought. My requirements are listed below along with some makes/models I've been looking at but I'm really looking for advice and recommendations from the knowledgeable members here.

My yard is a little less than 1/2 acre, relatively flat and without landscaping for now. I plan to landscape around the LT's capabilities so things like a super-sharp turning radius aren't really high on the priority list. The grass is just barely starting to come in which has prompted the research for an LT purchase and isn't thick...yet. It's Kentucky bluegrass if that matters and mulching is top priority.

The budget is a little meager; I'd like to stay around $1500 if possible. Things I'd like it to do, but aren't really priorities, are pulling small attachments (seeder, possibly an aerator) and plowing light snow with a blade (3-4" is at the high end of a typical snow fall).

I was attracted to a Deere at first, particularly the LA120 originally but the price is a little steep and other threads have hinted that there are better options.

I've also recently been looking at the Craftsman 22 hp 42 in. Deck, DYS 4500 Lawn Tractor, 80th Anniversary Edition that's on sale for $1599 as seen at the bottom. I have a slight sour taste for the Craftsman mowers due to the loose steering and bent front axle assembly that my in-law's Craftsman suffers from, but I think that's more 'operator error' and lack of attention/maintenance than anything...but that I'm saving for another thread.

I'm also partial the orange paint on the Husqvarna mowers but I'm not sure which model I should look at.

I plan on making a purchase very soon (the lawn is getting out of hand even though it's thin) and would appreciate any and all input that anyone has.

Thank you in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: DYS 4500 Lawn Tractor

Comments (8)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County