SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Please help newbie with choice

herus
17 years ago

Just moved into a home with perhaps 2/3 acre of grass. Half of this is flat and smooth, the rest is hilly, perhaps 10% grade EXCEPT for a rather steep portion which thankfully is small. This will probably need the use of the push mower I now own.

My neighbor bought a Husqvarna 4217 (ZTR) last year and when I asked him how he likes it he came over and cut most of my lawn to let me see how it works. Yes, great neighbor and I value him highly. He also let me use it for a short time and I was of course not very good at it, being my first time on any rider and definitely not used to a ZTR.

So I set out to buy a ZTR, but am finding them perhaps a little rich for my blood. This model, although last years. can be had for around $2500, which is close to its original MSRP. (My neighbor bought his at Lowes on closeout for only $1900).

So I start looking at conventional tractors. One that comes to attention is the JD LA120. HD also has the Toro LX500 for a good price, but I hear they are not so hot, being made by MTD.

My priorities are:

1. Cost should be around $2000 or so, less would be good.

2. Should handle hilly terrain although I don't think it is too bad except for the one spot.

3. Even and clean cut

4. Excellent mulching performance. This is kinda important as I hate bagging. The JD comes with a mulch cover standard which pushes it forward a bit.

5. Reliability, longevity and ease of DIY service.

Lesser priorities (nice-to-haves) are:

Speed, quietness, smoothness.

I do not have much, if any, value for hauling stuff around and the machine will likely be used for mowing only. The HD guy said I do not need a ZTR given most of my priorities, and that the LA120 has a pretty tight turn for a tractor, admittedly not like a Z. He labeled this machine as the best value for the money in its price range. Seems like a knowledgeable fella and not pushy at all.

I have done a fair but of searching and reading in this forum and elsewhere. I would consider other machines from Lowe's, HD or even Sears (last choice). I know many here would advise that I go to a small dealer and avoid big-box but I have my (private) reasons for sticking with big box. Please humor me on that one.

I hope I have not been too vague, but have only been researching for a few days when time permits. I would like to buy one soon as the thought of doing that lawn again with a pusher gives me the heebie-jeebies. Would like to hear your thoughts on which mower from the big boxes would work best for my needs and budget, thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County