SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

McClinton Tea Revisited , and Changing Tastes Overall

I had this rose some years ago and criticized it for shapeless blooms, lack of charm and I don't remember what else. Recently I was given this rose as a bonus rose and planted it in spite of not having the proper place for it, since I had no proper place left. It's very close to a ficus tree and other roses so really has little room to spread. At any rate my judgment seems to have matured (I'm less picky in certain respects, and if it's a tea it must be good) and I quite like the different shadings and the open, informal shape of the blooms (which before I had agreed looked like scrambled eggs). In my country setting I've become more and more fond of natural looking flowers for at least a good portion of the roses, although my sumptuous Yves Piaget and Belinda's Dream still make my heart go pitter-patter. I do believe that variety is the spice of life in a country garden especially, where stiff and uniform plantings just look out of place and uncomfortable.

I'm rambling on but wondered if anyone else has found that tastes have changed or veered in a different direction as time has gone on in their garden lives. In my case I've found that modern roses other than the Austins and Burgundy Iceberg and a very few others have made way for older, more graceful and romantic-looking varieties. Gold-colored varieties no longer work for me in a basically cool-toned garden although I have Miss Atwood, Reve d'Or, Queen Nefertiti, Charles Darwin and Cl. Lady Hillingdon to keep the palette from becoming too uniform. I do have golden daylilies and breathe a sigh of relief when their fortunately rather short blooming season is over.

Ingrid

Comments (11)