SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Almost ready for JD LA120, couple of quick questions

herus
16 years ago

To all who responded to my earlier post, thanks much. I was tempted to try the Sears machine but frankly the place and people there turn me off so much I'd pay to go somewhere else.

So I will, once I understand a couple of things a little better, be headed off to talk to an orange apron about an LA120.

1. What is PTO for exactly and do I need the electric one? I have the sense it is for attachments...? I will be mulching only (I think, but results may push me in another direction; one salesman told me that mulching every time is bad for the grass). I am not planning on hauling stuff but that could change too; this is my first large yard and I am still learning my needs and proclivities. In sunbelt, no snow at all.

2. Is the transmission sturdy enough for light slopes? The front half of my 2/3 acre is sloped at about 10% grade, the rear is flat. The transition has a slope that is a little steeper (12-13%?) but is thankfully narrow enough to be done in 2-3 passes.

3. General mower question re maintenance... is a service fairly straightforward to do? I figure I would probably have no more than 25 hours/year so that calls for one service/oil change, right?

4. Another general one, albeit probably dumb: how hard to change blades on these things? I have car ramps btw, but thinking more about the way one tightens the nut while in a somewhat compromised position.

5. Can such a tractor also handle the occasional clearing of low 'junk' vegetation? There is a section of my yard beyond the 2/3 acre that is getting overgrown with who knows what; it would be useful to raise the deck high and go whack it all. Could hurt the blades, though, right?

Thanks all!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions