SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkev

JD vs. Kubota, first time buyer

jkev
15 years ago

I have recently moved to 5 acres and am buying my first garden tractor. I have about 3 acres to mow, converted pasture, fairly level but a bit bumpy with a few tree groves. I've followed the discussion here for about a month. I'm fairly sympathetic to the arguments about the value of older tractors relative to newer 'box store' models. I would like to stay around 2K. Based on the discussions here, my search has been focused on used JD, Kubota, and Simplicity. I have found a used 1986 JD 318 (50 inch deck, Onan 2 cylinder, ~1000 hours), a 1984 Kubota G4200GST (44 inch deck, 2 cylinder diesel, 900 hours), and a 1998 JD GT275 (17hp Kawasaki, 48 inch deck, hours unknown). All are similarly priced. I will have to travel to actually see them. The dealers say they are working though each has minor problems (slow leak in tire, broken latch on hood, minor rust, etc.). Any recommendations/preferences among these three? The GT275 is 'newer' though I believe not as heavily made as the Kubota and JD 318. Also, it seems parts may be more available for JD compared to older Kubotas. I'm particularly concerned about the mower decks, as I imagine these will go before the engines. Does one have a fundamentally better deck than the other? Also, any advice on what to look for/ask when I go to check them out is appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions