SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Basil break or suckering rootstock?

How do you tell the difference between a basil break and a sucker coming from the rootstock--short of digging up the rose to see where it is coming from, I mean?

I'm guessing--basil break comes directly from the base of the rose--about where the buried graft would be? Whereas rootstock suckering pops up about a foot away from the rose?

What I've got is an Austin Mortimer Sackler, about 5 years old, grafted (probably on Dr. Huey since I probably ordered it directly from DA). Morty has been a very healthy and vigorous tall bush--but poor Morty is looking rather pathetic after the brutal winter we went through. He is the only rose in my garden that is having trouble recuperating--some blooms, but they droop a bit dispiritedly (but it has been really windy the past couple days, so maybe that is the reason). Anyway, Morty had a number of big canes turn brown; other canes put out some green leaves that rather promptly turned pale--nearly pale yellow in some cases. As a whole, Morty isn't looking that good--but he is still trying and hasn't given up and some of the blooms are looking quite normal. And there are a couple of new canes that look real healthy and have lots of buds on them.

What I have a question about is the two little clumps of growth--one about a foot in front of Morty, the other about a foot to the right side of Morty. I'm thinking the clumps are a response to the not-so-thriving condition of Morty as a whole, but I'm not sure if it is a good response or a bad one. In other words, how do I determine if the clumps are more Morty growing there or Dr. Huey trying to take over? Do I just have to wait until the clumps form buds and then bloom? If it's Dr. Huey, I'd rather rip it out right away.

Advice? Any input is appreciated.

Kate

Comments (10)