SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

The value of a fuel shut-off valve!

rustyj14
14 years ago

A man stopped and asked me to look at his big lawn mower, a fancy walk-behind, with a big B&S engine on it, so i went to have a look-see.

It has about a 12 h.p. or so, Briggs engine on it, and it all looks well cared for. He told me what happened.

Sez he put it away last fall, with a full tank of gas on it. Yesterday, he dragged it out of the garage and tried to start it, but no go! Seemed hard to pull the rope! took off the engine tin flywheel shroud, but couldn't see anything under there. So, he pried out the oil filler plug, one of the rubber kind, and thats when he found out about the fuel shut-off valve. which he didn't have. Oil shot out and up and over everything, including his nice paved driveway! He said a LOT of very thin oil shot out!

So now, tomorrow, i have to drain everything out, check the carb, change the oil, clean it up, make it run, and take it back to the owner! And, install a shut-off gasoline valve.

And, since i have an eye Dr. appointment, to give him his 4 times a year cash vigorish payment, i only have a half day to work tomorrow. And, right after supper, the local minister drove in on his lawn tractor, and towing his push mower, for some TLC. And another guy hauled in his giant, orange, Gravely tractor for some repairs, so i might be able to go away for Memorial Day, or not! Oh, well, that kind of stuff bought me my newer Ranger pickup, to use for hauling mowers, etc.! I figgered since the old one had 250,000+ miles on it, and leaned to one side like a drunken sailor, it was time to retire it! Bought it 5 years ago for $500, sold it for $300.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions