SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toffee_el

Weird thought ~ growing pesty trees for woodchips?

toffee-el
11 years ago

I am basing the thought on this video This video: (Garden of Eden) and my own experience in the past few years using wood chips from freshly cut trees and branches with leaves.

My own experience is not as fantastic as the video, ie California may be too dry in the summer that slows down the decomposing of chips and irrigation is definitely needed as oppose what the video claims. Otherwise using free fresh wood chip from tree companies has made my life a lot easier.

My weird thought: if I have an acre, and only planning on using 0.2 acre or less for planting. I won't mind converting the rest into woodland with fast growing or pesty trees. I can cut and trim the trees early to promote more growth and use the cut branches etc as source for more wood chips.

What kind of tree can satisfy that? I have privots in my yard that certainly grew like weed. How about bamboos? Aren't they almost like grass on steroid? If one has a 1/2 acre of mini bamboo forest, how much can one cut each year?

I called lots of tree companies but couldn't get any free wood chips this year, that stuff is in demand now. Would the pesty tree idea work?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz