SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Tea Roses Book

jerijen
15 years ago

I have it in my hot little hands, and will have it for people to see at the Celebration Of Old Roses -- along with brochures providing ordering information.

I'm going to be reading all the way to San Jose!

Jeri

Comments (52)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I haven't actually gotten very far into it -- too busy getting ready to travel. But I figure, I can read as we drive North.
    I can tell you that the photos are remarkably good -- color is wonderfully accurate. The book has a great "look," and the text I read is great.

Everyone who CAN make it to the Celebration is welcome to check it out. I'll have ordering information with me, too.

Bill, maybe we could meet for the early June VCRS meeting, and I can let you have an advance look. I figure there are others who would like to see it as well.

It's my understanding that they'll be shipping in June.

I can definitely say, it's as good as we thought it would be.

Jeri

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

Oh Jeri....I'm so excited I think I just peed myself!!!!!!!!

Deb :o)))))

• Related Discussions

My Souvenir d'un Ami versus Tea Rose version

Q

Comments (11)
    "Schmidt's Buff Giant" came from my garden. The original cultivar is still going strong and re-blooming in medium shade. We figure it is at least 80 years old. It is about 7-8 feet tall, and 15 feet across, and is growing inside a thicket, under several large trees. I agree with Vintage Gardens that it is Anna Olivier. I took it to the HRF meeting in CA in 2005, and the Tea ladies from Australia all identified it as Anna Olivier. Also, it agrees with every written description of that rose I have seen. It is, however, VERY mutable depending on the weather. Most of the time the blossoms are buff with a brick red reverse on the outside, as per the written descriptions I have seen. However, at certain times of year I have seen my bushes in full bloom with EVERY flower a uniform pale pink. At a different time of year, they have bloomed with EVERY flower a uniform pale yellow. However, I have never seen them look like the pictures from Sangerhausen, with a darker yellow in the middle and pale yellow/white on the outside. But, they have very different weather there than we do here, so who knows what this sneaky rose might get up to?
    ...See More

I got the Tea Rose Book!!!

Q

Comments (20)
    A funny thing happened to me. A week or so ago I went on Ashdowns site after getting the e-mail and ordered right away. But upon checkout, the site somehow didn't like the 3 digit code on my credit card and kept telling me it wouldn't accept the order and call during normal business hours. Obviously frustrated, I blew it off. Guess what arrived today on my porch! What a great suprise. The first pic I saw when I opened the book was Mrs.BRCant and Madame Berkeley, two that I grow and are favorites. I am sure I qualify for a warm garden! Clint
    ...See More

Is there anyone else out there who hasn't received their book?

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm the someone who had her order in the shopping cart and never actually paid, so OF COURSE I didn't get my book when everybody else did! (Thanks, Cass, for not naming me.) You can check your order on-line - or call them and ask. Anita
    ...See More

Australian Tea Rose Book -- Hurry

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks, I saw the post on FB and snapped up a copy. One of those books you want but do not hurry out fast enough and then find it will be much harder to get. Glad I bought mine this morning.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Jeri, did you order yours from Ashdown? I did and in their last communication was told I would be getting it in May. Is it actually going to be in June now? I'm so glad you think it's a good book. The caliber of the photography is so vital in a book like this

Ingrid

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

Jeri, outstanding to hear you got an advance copy to take to the Celebration of Old Roses this weekend. I'm quite sure you will be mobbed!

The rest of us will have to wait a few weeks, but having seen the sample PDFs (located on the Ashdown Roses site) the wait will be more than worth a little patience. Although I really, really look forward to getting my copy.

I DEFINITELY plan to see you at the VCRS meeting. Hope to hear all about the CoOR. By dumb luck, this weekend is my 50th B-Day weekend (actual day Monday the 19th) and the family put the kibosh on any thoughts of my leaving town. So heading up north to the CoOR is sadly not an option.

Please do bring the book to the meeting. I'm sure there will be great interest. For myself, I'll have to see if I'm strong enough to resist taking a peek.

Bill

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ingrid -- You may be right.
    I was thinking it was June, but come to think of it, it may be later in May.

Jeri

Bill, I WILL plan to bring the book for you to see.

• sonbie
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeri for bringing the book to the celebration. I'll be there and can't wait to see it!
    I was going to get it from Amazon but Ashdown looks like a better deal.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sonbie

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Jeri's copy is one of five advance copies that were sent to me via DHL. I overnighted it to Jeri so she would have one to show at the Celebration of Old Roses. The other two went to reviewers, one to Trish and if anything thinks they are getting mine - guess again LOL!!

The books have left Hong Kong via ship and will arrive Charleston, SC, but I do not know the exact date yet. As soon as they arrive here at Ashdown we will get them mailed out.

It does appear we are cheaper than Amazon and we do more for rose preservation to boot! (sorry, that was my shameless plug)

Paul

• carla17
    15 years ago

Paul, did you order extra copies, or can you get more later?

Carla

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Carla,

We have plenty coming and we can order more later. We will not run out.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And I will have brochures with ordering info.

Jeri
    (In Gilroy, where the thermometer says it is 106.3 deg.)

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Jeri, great to hear you are pleased with the book. I can't wait to get mine from Ashdown. One of those books on that ship from Hong Kong to Charleston has my name on it.

Randy

• User
    15 years ago

Are you guys talking about a book about teas written by several ladies???

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Peggy,
    It's the much waited for well illustrated book about Tea Roses done by Australian lovers of old roses and tea roses in particular.
    We'd hoped for it two years ago but there was a problem with the publisher, and the authors didn't give up (true rose lovers, they are) and they finally waded through paperwork because there had been contracts signed for the original attempt, found a new publisher, and it's now a done deal. There are more details of the travails on Heritage Rose Foundation forum.

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

I'd encourage anyone who is half-way interested to go look at the 12 page sample PDFs on the Ashdown Roses site. This looks to be one of the truly great rose books.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample Pages at Ashdown

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Things were so rush en route to the Celebration of Old Roses, we had little chance to look at the book ourselves. And AT the Celebration, it was scarce in my hands. Everyone had to see it.
    It's only now, as we're having a "wind-down" day in a pleasant Petaluma area campground, that I've actually had time to sit down and really dip into it.
    I'm pleased to report that it's every bit as good as I had thought it would be.
    Even the few folks there who can't grow Teas well -- threw up their hands after looking at the book, and admitted they had to have it.
    If you haven't ordered yet, go to the ASHDOWN ROSES web site.
    You're looking to order "TEA ROSES: Old Roses For Warm Gardens."
    You NEED this book.

Jeri

• User
    15 years ago

Hmmm, maybe I'll ask Santa... ;-)

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

This book redefines what a rose book should be.
    Forget the piddly little paragraph or two per rose. You and I KNOW that a rose deserves a page or more and multiple photographs. This book gives this class of roses their due.
    I am awestruck at the quality of this work. The authors should be so proud of their opus.
    I love Safrano; they have a full page closeup picture of a Isabella Sprunt with a single bloom reverting to Safrano...just to give you a hint of the delights in this book.

This is a book that I will cherish. I hope that it will inspire similar books for other roses. They have set the bar very high.

• roselovr_in_eh
    15 years ago

Ann - you got yours already???

(as in...with envy)

George

• patriciae_gw
    15 years ago

I got to see Seattlesues advance copy of this book a couple of days ago. It is amazing and I sincerely hope mine is due any day. Now we need to get our experts out to take each class in turn and do a book like this...it had details!!! I cant grow Teas worth a toot here but I had to have that book so I can at least look at the pictures..what a pleasure.

patricia

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a very great pleasure to see these roses discussed by people who have really observed them, lived with them.

I'm going to take it to a rose society meeting tonight, so people can see and covet it.
    In MY area, EVERYONE should be growing Teas, and far too many do not.

Oh, I have a small plant of 'Lady Roberts,' from the Sacramento City Cemetery.
    It's doubled in size since I brought it home in April, and now it has set two buds.
    I promise faithfully that I will break off all of the buds later, but I really have to see one of these open.
    The foliage is so clean, you could eat off the leaves.

(It's in the book. Check it out!)

Jeri

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

I got my copy from Ashdown today. Didn't have a chance to enjoy it yet.
    Olga

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

We mailed all copies to everyone who ordered the book this past Tuesday via media mail from South Carolina. It might take a little longer for those of you who live farther from us to get yours but they are all out and we have more for those who have not ordered.

Glad to hear you love the book. They have done a great job with it.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

After we see all the great pictures of those beautiful Australian teas and ooh and ahh, when will we be able to buy them for our gardens ...?

• buford
    15 years ago

I should probably get mine tomorrow. I did get my new digital camera today (I was sitting there waiting for the UPS man....). However, I don't have any blooms to take pictures of.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great news Paul!

I handed out a bunch of brochures at rose society meeting tonight, so you should be getting new orders.
    People were really impressed, going through the book, and seeing what was there.

Duchesse, a LOT of the roses covered in the book are roses we also have here in the U.S. --
    Some of the ones that aren't -- that's frustrating.
    But on a small scale, things are getting out.

Jeri

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

It's on my wish list. I don't want to forget to order it.

R

• buford
    15 years ago

I got mine today! Just going through it, but it looks great. I'm supposed to be working :) so I'll have to wait till later.....

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

Got to see it last night (thanks to Jeri) and I'm stoked to hear mine is on its way.

Bill (who'se reviving the slang of this youth)

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Paul, that is great news! My mailbox is on a full time watch alert for the arrival of my copy.

Randy

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Jeri, thanks for handing out the brochures. If we sell enough copies we might be able to do this with other books.

Regarding Tea Roses Varieties in Australia not available here. Where there is a will, there is a way! We're on the case.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great! I hope you can keep working on that, Paul.
    I realize Teas aren't THE roses for everywhere in the country, but then, no rose is.

For mild climates like mine, they can't be beat.
    I think the book is going to help with that Missionary Work.

Jeri

• carla17
    15 years ago

Paul, do you know if you will have some available for fall and Christmas ordering?

Carla

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

This book is so needed here in the southern U.S., where not enough casual gardeners realize the difference between a hybrid-tea and a true tea. Almost without exception, I have to explain to visitors to my garden what a true tea rose is, and why these roses look so happy, bushy, & leafy in the garden.

Randy

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

not enough casual gardeners realize the difference between a hybrid-tea and a true tea.

*** AND they don't realize how much better a real Tea will be, in their gardens.

Jeri

• pfzimmerman
    15 years ago

Hi Carla,

My plan is to have it available permanently. The initial shipment is a certain number but I can get more if this first batch sells out. And it would make a great Christmas gift!

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

My Tea book arrived today!
    It's all I had hoped it would be.
    There is a lot to read there, and beautiful photos as well.
    There will be many hours of enjoyment to come.
    Finally, a rose book that recognizes how fine a rose G. Nabonnand is! Perfect description of the GN growing in my garden. Nice write-up on that one, and all the others as well.

Randy

• carla17
    15 years ago

Thanks Paul. The book sounds great and I love Teas so.

Carla

• sherryocala
    15 years ago

Well, I have to wait for mine until next Saturday - my birthday! And I'm not supposed to know about it except that the charge from Ashdown hit the credit card and not remembering what roses I could have ordered, I called. Trish emailed back, asking if Thomas was my husband. That's when I figured it out. When I first saw the book, I had told him he could get it for me. Nothing else was ever said. It's one kind of nervous to not know and be hopeful, and a whole nother kind to know and be throbbing with excitement - while others are reading theirs!! I guess it proves I can keep a secret - at all costs. But it's killing me. I want to open it NOW!

Sherry

• sandy808
    15 years ago

Received my book yesterday and it is absolutely delighful!!!! I hope they decide to write an additional book with more roses as a companion to this one.

Happy Birthday Sherry! You'll love your book.

Paul, if you can get your hands on some of those lucious roses and make them available to us....well, let's just say that would be heaven.

Sandy

• cindyabs
    15 years ago

I found this book yesterday in a book overstock store in our local outlet mall-Beautiful Roses by Marie-Helene Loaec.
    The book was not surprisingly originally published in France entitled: Jardin des Sense: Roses. Anyway,it covers with gorgeous photos, 50 beautiful roses and a section on the "Keys to Sucess" on growing them. Not bad for 2.99, :)

• cindyabs
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot, I also got Amanda Beales book- Roses at that shop as well. I feel so "Continental." :)

• buffington22
    15 years ago

Mine was on my dining room table, with all mail recieved during our family beach trip last week! It is a gorgeous book with wonderful info on my new favorite roses. I looked at it this am while enjoying my coffee and the "cool front" that moved through this weekend. Sweet college girl next door, did her job well, watering my ferns and plants. Sprinkler system did its job on the garden. Everything looks healthy, just the rose blooms are tiny b/c of the heat last week.
    Randy, glad you're back with us! Buff

• daun
    15 years ago

Jeri,

When I first started my garden I was CLUELESS on the different classes of roses. You were the one that gave me an education on what will work in my zone. Teas were the first you said to get. Grandmothers Hat also one I still need to get. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for opening up my eyes to hardy wonderful old roses!

You need to write a book - I would be first in line...

Daun

• jerijen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Daun, if I wrote a book, it would be as disorganized as the rest of me. :-)
    But thank you all the same -- I just love making converts.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I received my tea rose book today! It's beautiful and, very importantly, well-written, with overall very good photography. My only regret, and it is of course a regret and not in any way a criticism, is that the wonderful mystery tea roses we have here are not included. We may need a tea rose book of our own! Meanwhile, I can't wait to start on this one.

Ingrid

• cweathersby
    15 years ago

Why oh why is mine not here yet?
    I was checking the mailbox for months even before we got the email saying they were mailed.
    I am not a patient person when it comes to mail.

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday...so I'm a little sleep deprived today.

Bill

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

Barnes and Noble sent me an email saying it was in the mail!!!! They DID honor that price.
    I'm so excited I am nauseated...tee hee!!!

Deb

• leelf1
    15 years ago

Amazon also now has the book for $26.98 -- definitely a great price!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea Roses book at Amazon

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert