SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enc_clover_farmer

When do Oct. Glories start producing viable seed?

enc_clover_farmer
14 years ago

First time poster, love the forum, have been reeding for years, and finally pulled the trigger on becoming a member this season, given the scope of my horticultural endeavors...

Background: I work at a local nursery part time during the growing season and last fall acquired 2 park grade Oct. Glory maples that were destined for our local hospital, but returned due to an overestimate in quantity. Trees were 2-3" in caliper, 15' tall, and in 20 gallon pots. Root growth was profuse and borderline bound. I planted the trees in November and after a couple weeks contemplating how bound they were, I decided to dig them up again and be more aggressive in liberating the roots (after reading up on Acer root pruning). Trees are planted on the front lawn as street trees, 25' back from the road and 40' spacing between the two. Area around each tree was worked roughly 10' in diameter using my own soil mix recipe, which is pretty close to what our nursery uses (Loam). Trees are mulched with pine bark at a depth of 3-4" around the area I worked. We have mostly clay here, so after the root spread gets out of that area, it will be a clay. Furthermore, we have a creek out front, and knowing how most maples like water, the placement is about 10' from the bank of the creek.

Question: When do these trees start producing viable seed? I am not worried about actual seed crops for the sake of reproducing new trees, rather the health of my existing ones. The two trees I planted each have a couple flowers, about half way up and protruding directly from the central leader. The terminal buds appear healthy (green when you break off one), but there are only a couple flowers. Knowing that this is a Red/Sugar cross, my initial thoughts were a

Comments (7)