Houzz Logo Print
jimorris77

Craftsman garden tractor dies when clutch/brake released

jimorris77
10 years ago

model 917251492 s.n. 271596c 004233
hydro gear transaxle 210-3010
bought new 1/10/96 makes it seventeen years old
it has been a good one replaced travel belt 1st time a few months ago. Last week, wife mowed for about 3 hours with no problems. After that I used the tractor and noticed it just barely could make it up a small (3') hill into the garage. With research, I decided it might be time to change the transaxle oil & filter. My owners manual doesn't mention that this should be done (while hydro gear says it should be done every year or two). I think I got that done okay. I could not get the fill level plug out, but I caught the old oil & replaced with the same amount. I took it out for the purging, following the steps in the manual. Then I took it out for a test drive.That did not go well. It moved slowly, roughly, stop & go. When I brought it back into the garage, smoke was pouring out from under. I shut it down immediately. That was a few days ago, since then I've been trying to get it to run again so I can find out where the smoke was coming from. When I release the clutch/brake pedal, the engine dies. The seat & fenders are removed. I don't think the seat switch is the problem because I have tried with the switch wires both open & shorted with no change. I thought maybe the brake was not releasing, but the transaxle input pulley moves freely. Also when the transaxle is in gear, the engine revved up, & the c/b pedal released quickly, the the axles turn briefly, while the engine is dying. The only other part I suspect is the clutch/brake switch, if it is an electrical problem, & I think it is. How should I check it ? Can you think of another place to look ?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions