SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hercules_gw

Synthetic blends - % synthetic?

hercules
17 years ago

Hi all,

This is a curiosity question.

Synthetic blend oils are available from many companies, and are highly advertised/hyped as superior oils for many applications. However, I've never seen any guidelines for the percent synthetic to dino to be correctly labeled a blend. It follows then that one particular brand might be 50% synthetic, while another might only be 5%. Is my reasoning correct?

If so, is there anywhere one can find the percent synthetic in a given brand of oil? I realize this is likely a highly guarded proprietary bit of information, but surely someone has analyzed a number of brands and published such data...somewhere on the internet. If so, I've not been able to find it.

I read a post from someone on this forum (can't find it now) that, just as an example, Valvoline DuraBlend 10W-30 is 30% synthetic. I wonder where he found such information, and also if his info was accurate.

Anyone have an idea? Again, this is pure curiosity on my part. I've never used a blend, but I'd like to know how much of the claim of superiority is factual, or just marketing hype.

Help me out here, guys! I can't stand a mystery without an ending! ~grin~

Hal

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions