SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrouleau_gw

Missing Bolts Caused Front Axle Failure

jrouleau
16 years ago

Last weekend I helped my neighbor change the front axle on his 4 year old Craftsman 1000 series tractor. The front axle was bent and torn in one place. The axle is held in place and pivots on a bushing in the center which is turn held in place between two steel plates mounted crosswise to the fram and bolted to the frame. When he removed the axle he realized that both plates were broken; the rear plate on the left side and the front place on the right side. After getting the new axle and having the steel plates welded it all went together and works as new now.

It appears the problem started because the two bolts holdin the left side of the rear plate were either missing since new or for a very long time. This stressed the right side causin the front plate to eventually break and the axle to move rearward and tear itself.

The tractor was used every week to cut 3/4 acres of fairly uneven grass.

Not a knock on Craftsman tractors by any mean. In fact I'm surprised it held together as long as it did. He's double checking the bolts he put back to make sure they are tight after using it for a few hours.

It brings to mind that it's probably a good idea to check for loose or missing bolts when the tractor is new and periodically thereafter. These small engines vibrate a lot and can shake loose or totally remove bolts and nuts.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions