SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

Next - found Atlas Grove redwoods / Iluvatar

mdvaden_of_oregon
16 years ago

Regulars here probably saw the post I started earlier about locating the Grove of Titans.

After more weeks of research, and repeat exploring in Prarie Creek redwoods, I finally found Atlas Grove as well.

Iluvatar in the grove, and second largest known redwood, is as cool looking as described in The Wild Trees book. In fact, Iluvatar is such a unique looking redwood, that I'm not sure what part of a photo would be good to put online. For now, I only uploaded a short section of trunk and foliage in reference to how it's upper trunk get larger.

My Grove of Titans page was already linked in this topic near 4th reply:

Garden Web Topic: Grove of Titans

I'm starting to add links on that page to Dr. Sillett's gallery. And there is a marvelous photo from another link of Steve Sillett suspended in a redwood called Poseidon above a fern mat that is supposed to be one of the largest in the world. It's a really cool image. Link is provided for that too.

The past month's experiment has been assembling some vertical panorama photo stitches. It's about the only way to store large vertical views with a big file, versus just turning the camera sideways. So a #2 redwood album was started for those. If someone had a class project or something, I have .jpg files for images up to 3400 pixels wide and 6000 pixels high, if requested. Most on the album are smaller.

I made .tiff files for all of them too, but those tiff images are near 55 megabytes each.

Comments (7)