SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Vacuum fuel pumps:

rustyj14
16 years ago

Well, here's Rusty Jones with another fuel pump problem:

A man brought his tractor to me-sez its making a clanking sound! yep--the con rod was disconnected from the crankshaft--at speed--so the engine is toast!

The fuel tank is behind and under the seat, so it isn't gravity flow. There was a vacuum operated fuel pump on the blown engine. I installed another engine, but the gasoline won't run up hill.

NOW!! The fuel pump was operated from a tube which was cast into the dip-stick tube, using a length of rubber hose. That dip-stick tube won't fit into the hole in the new crank-case, because the hole is too small.

Since i had seen a different arrangement of operating a fuel pump on a different tractor, which took the vacuum from a fitting in the breather can, on the side of the engine, I made up something similar, and connected the pump hose to it. This is the hose that was connected to the dip-stick tube on the broken engine.Didn't work!

So--now what?

Here's a description of the pump:

A circular body, with ears to bolt it on. A tube sticking out at top right side, with ear on left upper. This was connected to the dipstick tube.

A lower tube, below that one, that the hose from the tank was clamped onto.

And at the bottom of the round part, is the formed vertical tube that the hose to the carb is clamped onto. And, a mounting ear to the right of that tube.

I have fuel to the pump, but no further.

Several years ago, i had this problem with a Simplicity tractor. But, i cured it by mounting a fuel tank above the engine, in another location. Works great.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to get it to work, short of an electric fuel pump? Do i have the hoses on the correct outlets?

Sound good? Not good! Doesn't work!

HELP!! By: Rusty Jones

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions